mamabear appeal bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MamaBear

mamabear appeal bucks

Post by MamaBear »

Hello, ds2 did not qualify. He got a 111. We have decided to appeal. He is August born. Since we were homeschooling him we will not have a headteacher report. What kind of academic evidence should we provide? His elder brother is in yr7 at Jhgs and we live in catchment.
Also he had glandular fever a week before the exam and required antibiotics. Sorry to bombard with so much ( maybe irrelevant) information but we need all the help we can get.
Many thanks
Guest55

Re: mamabear appeal bucks

Post by Guest55 »

Are you going for a review or an appeal? I would suggest you may wish to wait for an appeal to give you time to get an Ed psych report so you have something to show ability that will complement the examples you have. Also you will be able to submit work at an appeal ....
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Reading the advice here we have opted for an appeal and not a review.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=36418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry to hear he just missed.

Until the cavalry arrives (aka Etienne) do read the above and put JHGS first on your CAF.

Try to get levelled work using KS2 tests or, if you have any teacher friends, ask them to level work as further evidence.

Good luck. :D
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Thank you guest55. Really appreciate your kind words.
Amber

Post by Amber »

MamaBear wrote:Also he had glandular fever a week before the exam and required antibiotics.
Glandular fever is the very devil and can wipe you out for months. If it really was that then I think that would give you huge extenuating circumstances. However, it is caused by a virus and antibiotics wouldn't be prescribed for it so maybe worth checking what doc actually diagnosed at the time. To me (I had it when I was doing my second teaching practice) glandular fever would make it impossible to perform well in an exam.

Good luck x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

MamaBear wrote:Hello, ds2 did not qualify. He got a 111. We have decided to appeal. He is August born. Since we were homeschooling him we will not have a headteacher report. What kind of academic evidence should we provide?
See B20 (although it doesn't entirely fit your circumstances):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does he have any academic/intellectual interests? For example, see B11 (k):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also he had glandular fever a week before the exam and required antibiotics.
You must mention this - but will probably be challenged about why he was allowed to sit the test if he wasn't fit to do so.
Is the argument going to be that the antibiotics affected him more than expected?
If so, was there any evidence for this?
Or is the argument going to be as Amber suggests - that with glandular fever he was going to be below par for months, so there was no point in postponing?
Etienne
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

the gp ruled out tonsillitis but he had persisting large glands and a fever. The gp felt at the time it did not warrant a blood test to confirm glandular fever but he didnt rule it out and prescribed antibiotics.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

the gp ruled out tonsillitis but he had persisting large glands and a fever. The gp felt at the time it did not warrant a blood test to confirm glandular fever but he didnt rule it out and prescribed antibiotics.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Sorry to hear your news mama bear, I cannot help as although I have appeal experience I know zip about evidence when home schooling.
The appeal procedure is blooming hard work, very very few won their case (5/25 at jhgs, none at RGS) and it was emotionally draining, so if there is any way at all you could obtaini evidence for a review within two weeks (ed psych report, levels indication etc I would have a go at that personally) That is just my thoughts though.
Ps. The appeals team last year would not accept any childrens work to look at, not sure if in your circumstances they would waiver that rule.
Good luck with everything.