Appeal?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

orekan

Appeal?

Post by orekan »

My DD deemed non-selective due to her score of 212 (so just missed the passed mark).

We went to see her HT to see if she was willing to put in an appeal. Her response was that although DD narrowly missed the pass marks her levels at school were 4a maths and 5c for english at the end of year 5. In order for her to appeal DD need to be level 5b so no appeal. I accepted her explanation and left it at that and started to decided which non grammar schools I was going to select.

I was then advised to called Bexley Council Admissions. After speaking to them they said that as she was so close to the pass mark I should try and urge the HT should put in an appeal and also that she does not need to be level 5B for an appeal to go through.

Any thoughts on how I can change the HT's mind?

Many thanks in advance.
salsa

Re: Appeal?

Post by salsa »

orekan wrote:My DD deemed non-selective due to her score of 212 (so just missed the passed mark).

We went to see her HT to see if she was willing to put in an appeal. Her response was that although DD narrowly missed the pass marks her levels at school were 4a maths and 5c for english at the end of year 5. In order for her to appeal DD need to be level 5b so no appeal. I accepted her explanation and left it at that and started to decided which non grammar schools I was going to select.

I was then advised to called Bexley Council Admissions. After speaking to them they said that as she was so close to the pass mark I should try and urge the HT should put in an appeal and also that she does not need to be level 5B for an appeal to go through.

Any thoughts on how I can change the HT's mind?

Many thanks in advance.
You can appeal without the head being involved. You need to put the GS on your CAF and then appeal. There are girls who got into Townley with narrow misses last year. Good luck. I don't know how you could convince the head teacher, some just don't want to do the extra work!
Moonwalker

Post by Moonwalker »

Hello,
My DS missed his Bexley test with 3 marks (212) in English and I am thinking to put a review through his ht.
I have an appointment with him next week and finger cross he will do it for us.
Could anyone help/ suggest me what should I do next?? I mean do I have to call bexley council and ask them to put my DS name in waiting list or how does it work?
Thank you
droid

Post by droid »

Don't forget there is always the option to take the 12+ next year if your appeal is unsuccessful. For some reason Bexley keep very quiet about this but if you contact them you can apply for it. If you plan on doing this it's probably worth putting one of the Bexley grammars at the top of your CAF application as they will add you to the waiting list for that school if the 12+ result is successful. There are quite a few discussions from previous years on the 12+, if you search this forum you should find them.
Moonwalker

Post by Moonwalker »

Hello Droid,
Thank you for the 12+ info, could you pls suggest me how it work I mean 12+. Do you have any links that I can follow. If you can give me more detail than I would really appreciate.
droid

Post by droid »

Hi, we went through this a few years ago so I can explain how it worked then - but probably worth double-checking with Bexley council in case the procedure is different now.

You need to phone the council around March and request an application form for the 12+, however, in order to qualify for the test your DC needs to be performing at the same level as the children in the grammar schools, i.e. level 5 or above for Maths, English Science and one foreign language. You would need to get school reports for your DC and submit these along with the test application form.

The test itself takes place around April and you get the result within roughly a month. It's slightly harder than the 11+ and there are no practice papers available unfortunately. If the test is successful the council will inform you which grammar schools have places available.

I think my original comment about having to put the GS down now may be incorrect, as you would have the chance to apply for a GS place after taking the 12+.

Hope this helps.
sidcupparent

Post by sidcupparent »

What subjects are done on 12+?
orekan

Post by orekan »

Thank you for your helpful responses.

I had a meeting with my DD's headteacher and it was more positive in that a letter will be prepared and submitted. HT felt that if she did it for one she would have to do for all!

Hopefully appeal will be successful.

In terms of the secondary school application form do I still include a grammar school as my first choice even though the appeal will not be heard before the closing date?
droid

Post by droid »

sidcupparent,

Sorry I'm not really sure what's included in the 12+, I asked my DD as she took this a few years ago but she can't remember much about it. It's probably changed quite a bit anyway since then now that Bexley are using CEM for the 11+. I think it's safe to say there will be a considerable amount of Maths and English, so the best preparation would be to go through books such as Bond Maths Assessment Papers & English Assessment Papers, plus a bit of non-VR just in case they add this in. There are different versions of these books for 11-12 and 12-13 year olds so make sure you get the appropriate ones.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now