AGSB IN CATCHMENT NUMBERS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
deltamum

AGSB IN CATCHMENT NUMBERS

Post by deltamum »

Hi

Does anyone know approximately how many boys who are from the catchment area sit the AGSB entrance exam?

Thanks
rocky_robin

Re: AGSB IN CATCHMENT NUMBERS

Post by rocky_robin »

Not sure, they were talking about 900 boys sitting the exam and allowing 25% of the intake to be OOA but I'm not sure what the proportions would be

From my son's year I'd say 10 boys out of 30 sat the exam but I guess the figures will vary from school to school
deltamum

Post by deltamum »

Many thanks for the information!
Vicster

Post by Vicster »

I don't really see how they can 'allow' 25% of the boys to be from out of catchment because standardisation and the schools admission procedures don't allow for a specific percentage. Based on previous years it does seem likely that the OOC figure will be somewhere between 25 and 35% but it really can vary based on the number and ability of applicants who have sat the exam that year.

Everyone in catchment only has to achieve a standardised score of 334, so technically if 170 in catchment boys achieved that score then all of the places would be filled by in catchment boys. In reality that doesn't happen and a percentage of places do go to OOC boys every year.
rocky_robin

Post by rocky_robin »

Vicster wrote:I don't really see how they can 'allow' 25% of the boys to be from out of catchment because standardisation and the schools admission procedures don't allow for a specific percentage. Based on previous years it does seem likely that the OOC figure will be somewhere between 25 and 35% but it really can vary based on the number and ability of applicants who have sat the exam that year.

Everyone in catchment only has to achieve a standardised score of 334, so technically if 170 in catchment boys achieved that score then all of the places would be filled by in catchment boys. In reality that doesn't happen and a percentage of places do go to OOC boys every year.
I think the Exam Overview document from the meeting in June, states that approx. 25% of new entrants are from OOA each year, so I've miss quoted them by saying "allowing" rather than this is what eventually happens in most years.

Perhaps a number of those who pass from in area go to Manchester GS instead or somewhere similar meaning a larger number of OOA applicants than expected get places

Like you say the standardisation is a bit of the "dark arts" so it's less cut and dried

From the figures quoted does that mean only around 127-128 "in area" kids achieve the 343 score or do they allocate the "in area" places first from all those who met the pass mark and accept a place and then allocate the "spares" from those who passed "OOA" and live closest to the school

Not long until we find out
Vicster

Post by Vicster »

I'm not sure exactly how they do it. The adjudicators report from the planned exam changes did give some statistical information on numbers of applicants but it was a bit sketchy. I think around 270 chose AGSB as their first choice on CAFS last year and around 60 boys from OOC were deemed to be eligible, however, when added to the number of eligible boys from in catchment the overall figure was more than the PAN of 173 :?

I think when the results are standardised any in area boys achieving a score of 334 or 334 after the creative writing revised score is deemed eligible to have a place and if he chooses AGSB as his first choice school he will be guaranteed a place.
deltamum

Post by deltamum »

Thanks for all the replies! I suppose I'm just trying to work out how many other boys take the exam from within the catchment area and therefore statistically what kind of chance he had got next year ie if 120 catchment area boys pass, how many in catchment candidates is this out of is it 300? 600?. I guess its difficult to find out but will check with the school and relay an info I get! Thanks again
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now