Kent Test - OOC - Which schools to apply

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

HappyLilly

Kent Test - OOC - Which schools to apply

Post by HappyLilly »

Hi, my DS has got 359 and we are OOC (in Essex). We have no clue which schools to apply so that he has the best chance to get a place. There are so many schools in Kent and many different admission criteria. We are confused.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Also if we plan to move to Kent in the next 1-2 months will that give us an advantage?
gravesendgal

Re: Kent Test - OOC - Which schools to apply

Post by gravesendgal »

Kent's a pretty big place...have you got any ideas on Areas?

Kent School Admission forms need to be in by 5th November, if you can aquire a Kent address by then in the catchment of a Grammar then i'd say you're odds on with a place

:lol: :lol:
HappyLilly

Post by HappyLilly »

I discussed with my local council (Essex). They said that by Oct 31st 2014 if you are in Essex you need to apply through the Essex CAF form for Primary School places and list your choice of Kent Grammars on that. They also said that their cutoff date for change of address is till Jan 5th 2015.

So I was wondering that if we move to Kent by end of 2014 and provide the Kent address to Essex Council (before Jan 5th), in this case would the Kent Council treat my DS as 'in catchment' for a Grammar School place? Please advise.

When I checked this with Kent Council, they said check with the individual Grammar Schools...... :(
Colmans

Post by Colmans »

I just re read the Kent policy and it is a little ambiguous.

http://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/pd ... me2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KKC clearly state that they only act as a clearing house for the schools. Grammar schools apply their own selection criteria. KCC will only act as principle if the school is under KCC control.

By 5 January 2015 Kent County Council will advise all Kent secondary schools of the full details of all valid applications for their schools via rank lists, to enable them to apply their over-subscription criteria. Only children who appear on Kent County Council’s list can be considered for places on the relevant offer day.

This would therefore assume that if you can get your local authority to confirm a change of address by 5th Jan, they will provide details to schools with you at your new address. The challenge is that you really want to get this done and confirmed prior to Xmas.

Good luck.....but get house hunting now!
HappyLilly

Post by HappyLilly »

@ Colmans
Thanks a lot for the information.
mystery

Post by mystery »

So I think that the conclusion is that you need to read the admissions policy for each school you may be interested in. By the time you have done that you will have no time to pack up and move.
DifficultChoice

Post by DifficultChoice »

DD scored 406, we are OOC, so far we are targeting Newstead Wood and Townley, just wondering whether we should put Togs as first preference as league tables show Togs is better than the other two, any suggestions please? As per Togs website there are 40 places for OOC pupils. are there any other girls schools in Kent better than above three and Dartford grammar? We are open to relocate.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I wouldn't base any choice on league tables, which very much can only give you historical information, and it really depends on which measure you choose - Newstead Woods for example appeared to drop significantly down the league table one year, literally over 100 places, just because 1 girl got a D in maths for some reason, and the other 1,000+ grades didn't count for as much as getting 100& 5a-cs incl Maths and English. All the schools will have clever girls, you need to look round each and look at what features appeal to you and in particular your dd. For example, what is the tutor system like? How often do you get reports, or have parents evenings? When are children put in sets, and for which subjects? What languages are on offer, and when/how do choice for languages get made? Are GCSE options taken in year 8 or 9? What is the balance of "stick" and "carrot"? What doe the co-curricular offering look like? What is staff turnover like? Do you feel that the SMT are approachable. There will be little to choose between these schools to be honest, and other factors such as your dd's happiness and motivation will have a more direct bearing on her outcome. But I think it helps if you are happy with a school's ethos, their way of doing things.
DifficultChoice

Post by DifficultChoice »

Hi Ladymuck, Thanks a lot of your detailed response, we really appreciate it. To honest we have no clue about most of the points you mentioned, looks like we should have done more research. It may be bit late now but will try to find out as much information as possible before submitting the application. If possible could you please elaborate on 'what is the tutor system like? ' , to be honest not very sure about what to expect here, I will try to compare my findings against your suggestions.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I thought you had to be in catchment for Newstead Wood to be allowed to take their entrance test?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now