Darrick wood views please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

charlene67

Darrick wood views please

Post by charlene67 »

Hello , I was just wondering if anyone has any views on Darrick wood as my daughter did not score enough for a place in Newstead , I would appreciate any views as we are out of the catchment for bullers wood , thankyou in advance
pixiedust101

Re: Darrick wood views please

Post by pixiedust101 »

Hi

I've got a Y8 Dd at Newstead, and a Y11 at Chislehurst School (otherwise known as Beaverwood!).

Happy with both schools - hand on heart can't say that Newstead is superior than Beaverwood, just closer, which suits the needs of our youngest.

Y11 DD is doing amazingly well, with good support from teachers, has already gained two A's in Core and Additional science, and predicted A and A*'s next summer. This is from a child who failed the Kent test by a merry mile. Some are late bloomers, and sometimes it's far better to be top of a comp, rather than bottom of a grammar- at the end of the day, a GCSES A is a GCSE A no matter what school you gained it from.

I've friends who have kids at Darrick Wood, have heard nothing negative about it, but I think you need to be virtually on the doorstep to get in.

With a mum like you supporting her child, I have no doubt that success at the end of Y11 awaits whatever school she goes to.
VanillaLatte

Post by VanillaLatte »

Darrickwood is an outstanding school and I would not doubt to enrol my DC there. Catchment is very small and houses very pricey.

Same applies for Langley Academy (cathcment is under 1 mile) and Bullerswood.

I think Langley Park has the best reputation of all of them.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Darrick wood is a good state school but not in the same academic league as Newstead (if you just look at GCSE/A level stats). I went to the open day and did not like it. End of the day, you need to consider how one gets into the school:
DW - live nearby and fill a form
NW - study hard for over an year, score over 85-90% to be in the top and earn a place

Obviously there are exceptions in both schools and other factors such as location etc that are more for individual needs. However, I've given the view from academic perspective only. You may call both schools and ask how many girls made it to Oxbridge or Medicines.

If my dd gets into both, I will not even consider putting DW in the CAF form.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

The op has said her daughter did not qualify for Newstead. Pointing out how much better it is than the option she does have isn't really very helpful or kind.

My DD has a friend in year 8 at Darrick and she is very happy there - a very bright and musical girl who is doing really well. I have a friend who's daughter has just started there and she has settled in well and seems happy. It has a good reputation - what did you think when you visited? Different schools suit different children so just because a school suits one child and everyone thinks it is marvellous it may not be the best place for your child.
VanillaLatte

Post by VanillaLatte »

I agree that Newstead is much more competition and academic environment. But if DC is not accepted in any of the GS they applied, Darrickwood is the best option if you are in the catchment of course. What other school is good in the area except Darrick if you do not get a place at Newstead?
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

All Bexley schools if you get into top 180
Kent schools if you get the magic number 420 or 423

Other sub-options are:
(a) DGS - take a coach + get top score
(b) Wilmington - take a coach + good score (check parish info)
(c) C&S - if you live just within catchment+ good score
(d) Beth GS - if you live just within catchment + good score

It is personal choice but moving house/renting into a GS catchment (Kent/Bex) is better option rather than going to Darrick W.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

For info - to get into the Bexley grammars you either have to get a top 180 score, or pass the 11+ and live in the 'catchment area' (which is not a fixed area but changes each year depending on who else is applying) You don't need to 'live just within catchment + good score'. If you are not in the top 180 then, as long as you pass, your score does not come into it.
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

charlene67 wrote:Hello , I was just wondering if anyone has any views on Darrick wood as my daughter did not score enough for a place in Newstead , I would appreciate any views as we are out of the catchment for bullers wood , thankyou in advance
Neighbours children go to Darrick Wood. She has nothing but praise for the school. Teaching as well as pastoral support is excellent (according to my neighbour). Staff are very strict on discipline and academic performance...good for the children I would think. Other comments about the catchment and house prices may well be true.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now