Help.. Beaconsfield High current Mums..please??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bucksmummy

Help.. Beaconsfield High current Mums..please??

Post by bucksmummy »

My daughter got through on Bucks test yesterday so that's nice... However dilemma is BH, wycombe High (out catchment but may get in) or Berkshire St Bernards mixed.

I am in a quandary due to several opinions from current Becky High mums who have daughters there from my girls current school. Know they may have been unlucky so wanted any input really as so torn!
1. Sports.. My daughter isn't THE best at one thing but quite good at a few.. Ie 4th in year sprint, 3rd at long jump etc, ok at netball. I hav been told teams are v tough to get into unless you are v v good and a lot of ex private school Turks dominate netball due to attending private squads already. Sport is v important to her so wanted to see what people thought on this.
2. Bitchiness.. Know all girls schools have an element but one girl I know is at point of transferring schools and teachers are aware of a group responsible.
3. Teachers... Do you rate teachers ... Are they friendly? We looked round Beaconsfield Secondary and the teachers were so enthusiastic and friendly but we're so at Becky and my friend says they often swap teachers after one term?

My daughter although fairly bright is very interested in sports and drama too and isn't just one of the bookworm type children (no offense meant just trying to paint a picture!) so just concerned as to whether it would be her school to be happy in.

Just want her to be happy.. Know they are amazing academically but want her teenage years to be happy too.

Any thoughts? Private message me if you don't want opinions shared...,that's fine!
Jules7

Re: Help.. Beaconsfield High current Mums..please??

Post by Jules7 »

Hi Bucksmummy,
I can only comment on Becky High and cannot give a comparison as I don't have first hand experience of the other schools. Best of luck with your decision!

My oldest daughter is happy at Becky High and her sister will be joining her there hopefully next September. I have only good things to say about the school. Not everything is perfect but where is? A strong point for me is the current Head - she is fantastic and a good leader.
I will try and answer your more specific Qs below, at least from my persepctive.
1. Sport
My daughter is not sporty but did participate in extra curricular dance activities up until this year. Standard of sports like netball, hockey, running, dance etc is high but I don't see a problem with that. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. There are lots of sports clubs as well as teams for those who want to participate.
2.Bitchiness
Happens at every school whether single sex, GS or not - there are those who are not so nice and those that are lovely. My daughter has some wonderful friends but they are not all like that. Sorry to hear of the experience of your friend :(
3.Teachers
Generally very good in our experience. My daughter hasn't had much swapping around but she is older so maybe they try and minimise impact?

My daughter is into drama and has particpated in every opportunity in that area. Currently "Grease" (joint with The Beaconsfield School), The Tempest and the House pantos which are great fun!