Transparency ....

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yummycool

Transparency ....

Post by yummycool »

Is it just me, but why does this whole experience of waiting for results and then agonising over and researching on the forum whether the mark received is good enough. Looking for past data etc...

We're sitting here still awaiting the results just to be given the green light to attempt the 2nd round. When you read that many already know their chances/outcome it feels very unfair and cruel to be still in limbo.

I know this is a bit of a rant and nothing will change - but I for one will truly be glad when the children are out of the education system period !!
decaff

Re: Transparency ....

Post by decaff »

I fully understand how you feel but this form provides so much information for all parents. In my opinion it is the best forum around. What it does is helps parents make realistic decisions and hopefully stops members wasting their precious choices (only 4 in Herts). Yes the selective system is ruthless, but failing to get in to a selective school does not mean your child will not do well in secondary school they eventually end up attending. I know more families disappointed with results received yesterday than pleased. If we encourage our children whatever school they go to this is surely the most important thing.
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

The forum itself is great - it has helped immensely - the support of people who are in the same position as yourself, helps you get through the difficult moments.

But now I find my patience waring thin. The process simply feels too long and drawn out.
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

The system in some areas enables parents to virtually predict which offer they will receive 5 months before national offers day. Many areas have very stable and predictable outcomes due to catchment policies and other factors.

However in other regions, the outcomes are far too dependent on who else applies, what score they get and where they live for anyone to be able to guess what might happen. Many people haven't received stage 1 results yet let alone submitted an application so the schools have absolutely no idea who will list them and where they live or what they scored.

In theory, everyone will have the final result in March (although some may get subsequent offers from waiting lists) and information in this interim period is just to save people from wasting preference options on schools where there is no pass. It isn't supposed to bring any guarantees or a complete end to the waiting. Just as people applying to non selective schools won't know how many siblings are applying, how many faith candidates are going to get priority and how many people live closer to the school than they do. The admission process is designed to run from Oct - March but it does feel drawn out when there has been the lead up to exams before that.
Radlettmother

Post by Radlettmother »

As this whole process goes on I sometimes wish we could return to the days where there were just catchment areas.... would in some ways be less stressful. I have lived somewhere like this (in the country) and it caused a whole lot less stress. I know that there are a million arguments against that too..but at the moment it seems very attractive!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now