One Question if any body knows...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pdharmendra

One Question if any body knows...

Post by pdharmendra »

Hello,

As all you know that this year (2014) kent test system had been changed. According to that there was one single paper for English& Maths and another was for Reasoning( verbal, Non-verbal & Spital Reasoning). Leave English writing separate for now..

I wonder Why are we received the marks separate for Maths, English & Reasoning?

Why they separated English from Maths but not Verbal from Reasoning?

Did they mention before the exam the type of separation?

Anybody shed more light on this?

Thanks in advanced.
mystery

Re: One Question if any body knows...

Post by mystery »

The council website said they were going to wait until after the test was done by the children to decide on this kind of thing. Then when the results came out they announced that it was going to be the way it is. They have never explained the rationale or if it will ever be done this way again.
Pink99

Post by Pink99 »

I read somewhere that it was to reduce the weight of the reasoning from 2/3 as it used to be, down to 1/3 of the test. The rationale being that the reasoning is the most tutorable aspect of the test. There has also been a lot of criticism in the past that the test is too maths orientated and therefore those passing reflect only the top 25% of maths students and some very gifted children were slipping through the net.
I think the new test is good, as it encourages a well rounded education, even if you are tutoring. Also, hopefully will encourage schools to work to a level too, as it will be noticed by parents if lots of children are failing on one paper.
Mumof2boyskent

Post by Mumof2boyskent »

Pink99 wrote:I read somewhere that it was to reduce the weight of the reasoning from 2/3 as it used to be, down to 1/3 of the test. The rationale being that the reasoning is the most tutorable aspect of the test. There has also been a lot of criticism in the past that the test is too maths orientated and therefore those passing reflect only the top 25% of maths students and some very gifted children were slipping through the net.
I think the new test is good, as it encourages a well rounded education, even if you are tutoring. Also, hopefully will encourage schools to work to a level too, as it will be noticed by parents if lots of children are failing on one paper.
I also think it may have something to do with the fact that many children had got through the old test with very high scores to get to super selective schools, once they were at the schools it was apparent that the English levels were quite low and the children needed extra help in that area. One head teacher actually said in their speech that they were having to give a lot of extra support on English.

By introducing the English and giving it equal weighting to maths and reasoning, they are aiming to get a rounded selection of children (tutored or not!)

One head also told parents that if you had tutored to get your child through the 11+, then be prepared to tutor for the whole time they were at grammar!
pdharmendra

Post by pdharmendra »

Thanks for all who reply..

What is the chance in appeal for my DS who missed by 2 marks in English?

Maths : 119
Reasoning : 121
English : 104

His elder brother is in TWBGS and we also live within distance covered by that school.

Your thought and advice is highly appreciated.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Have you looked at the appeal section of this forum?

Lots of good advice and information on there. There is an excellent Q &A section which may help