English paper - confirmation please!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SCA

English paper - confirmation please!!

Post by SCA »

Is it true that there is no English paper in the Kent test only a piece of writing, as posted by yoyo? If so, can someone tell me how much time do the candidates get to produce the piece of writing? Fiction or non-fiction? I've just been coaching someone using the NFER English paper as part of the process... oh dear!

Also are candidates allowed to use tracing paper in the NVR paper? I know they can in their SATs papers, but in the Kent Test?

Finally, can someone please let me know approximately when the candidates should get their results.

All help appreciated!

Post by Guest »

It's true about the English. Last year I think that the writing task was about 45 minutes and that children had a choice of topics. Basically it was creative writing rather than factual, but I guess that could change. I don't know about tracing paper but I would assume that this is NOT allowed. I've never heard of anyone using it.

Post by Guest »

Further to above...
Candidates get their results on national allocation day in March. They will be told whether or not they have been deemed suitable for a selective school in the same letter telling them to which school they have been allocated. Actual marks can then be obtained from the child's primary school (who will have known them for about a month!)
guest1

Post by guest1 »

From what I know of the NVR they won't even have time to use tracing paper. As, if I remember correctly, last year the NVR paper was split into something like 6 sections, of 12 questions and something like 8 minutes to do each section. I probably have the figures all wrong, but it was something like that lol.
Kent Mum

Post by Kent Mum »

Yep- the above posts are spot on- the written test is only looked at in the case of a borderline child. Last year (Jan 07 test) my son chose the option to write about a dragon's egg. That seemed quite a popular choice.

As for tracing paper- I've never heard of that being used! It certainly isn't provided by any schools I know of. My son didn't have anything like that- nor was it provided at the school I worked in.
Of course I'm out of my mind! It's dark and scary in there!!!!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I agree with previous posters: tracing paper will not be used as far as I am aware I have never heard this.
As far as the english task goes I wouldn't worry too much as it really won't be marked unless they are borderline and need to choose between children. Saying this, I was under the impression it could be a short comprehension, followed by short piece of creative writing.
First and foremost you need to concentrate on the maths, vr and non vr as you must consistently score in all three: the scores will not be combined. As far as I am aware you need to score 120, 120, 115.
SCA

Thanks

Post by SCA »

Thank you all for responding. Very helpful.
Can anyone let me know how they arrive at marks for Maths, VR and NVR 120, 120 and 115 respectively? The NFER practise papers seem to have about 50 questions on each topic.

Re: Thanks

Post by Guest »

SCA wrote:Thank you all for responding. Very helpful.
Can anyone let me know how they arrive at marks for Maths, VR and NVR 120, 120 and 115 respectively? The NFER practise papers seem to have about 50 questions on each topic.
Please forgive me if I have misunderstood your post, but the marks are not set as 120,120 115 for Maths, VR and Nvr respectively. In last year's Kent test, a pass mark required a mark of 120 in any two of the papers, with a mark of 115 in the third. This pass mark varies slightly from one year to another - I can't remember exactly about previous years but I think one year the required mark was 118 in all three papers.
katel

Post by katel »

Last year it was 120 120 in any two and 115 in the other. It varied very slightly from year to year, but it's always there or thereabouts.

No comprehension in last year's English - just a 45 minute piece of writing - I don't think there was a choice.

No tracing paper allowed.

Results early March.

Hope the OP is coaching somebody for 2009 not 2008!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now