Kingston Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Drastic Dad

Kingston Grammar School

Post by Drastic Dad »

Any views on this school. I have checked posts on these forum and although there is quite a lot of info on Tiffin Grammar, there is nothing on Kingston. Does anybody know about some basic facts:

How is the reputation of this school?
Is it difficult to get a place here?
How does the entrance exam setup work?
How does Kingston compare with Tiffin?

Thanks in advance.
Just Visiting

KGS

Post by Just Visiting »

The biggest difference between Tiffin and Kingston Grammar is that Kingston is not actually a grammar school (confusing I know..) it's a private school, and so is fee paying.

I don't know much about it but I get the general impression that it is geared towards high achievement across the curriculum, sports, music and performing arts.

Hope this helps.
Drastic Dad

Post by Drastic Dad »

Thanks a lot. Now this is a big difference. I just checked the school website and quite a few scholarships and bursaries are available which does not exclude this school all together specially if you have an exceptional child and you are willing to go the distance with him/her.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Drastic!

check up on the value of scholarships / bursaries before you get too excited, most schools still expect you to pay a significant percentage of the fees, even on "means tested" awards. There has been some discussion before about this.

herman
SunlampVexesEel

Re: Kingston Grammar School

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Drastic Dad wrote:Any views on this school. I have checked posts on these forum and although there is quite a lot of info on Tiffin Grammar, there is nothing on Kingston. Does anybody know about some basic facts:

How is the reputation of this school?
Is it difficult to get a place here?
How does the entrance exam setup work?
How does Kingston compare with Tiffin?

Thanks in advance.
I think you need to attend an open evening or another such appointment.

IMHO it suits some and not others

The big differences are being CoEd and the fees!

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

They do offer bursaries and scholarships. I'm quite sure that they only offer up to 10%.
May be worth checking this out.

Jenny
anothersurreydad

Kingston Grammar

Post by anothersurreydad »

Hi I have just picked up this thread, My son is taking the entrance exam this weekend. We did visit the school and were very impressed, I think the scholarships are up to 50% off the of fees, but I get the impression that this could be divided by a few children so you may not get the 50%. We are hoping to get him a sports scholarship, there are other scholarships as well.