Confused on BGS '121'

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fluff4brains

Confused on BGS '121'

Post by fluff4brains »

I hope I'm just missing something obvious, but here goes:

DS has taken Bucks STTS and Berks 11+ and we're shuffling the CAF as a result. BGS requires '121' but refers to 11+ in its admissions policy. Is that an 'STTS' 121 or a 11+ 121?

Assuming it's an STTS 121, and anything 'over' an STTS 121 is just 'numerical packing material' and not relevant, what of the 'top down' process of selection?
Guest55

Re: Confused on BGS '121'

Post by Guest55 »

Places in Bucks GS are allocated, once qualified (STTS of 121 or more) on distance according to admission policy.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

fluff4brains wrote:I hope I'm just missing something obvious, but here goes:

DS has taken Bucks STTS and Berks 11+ and we're shuffling the CAF as a result. BGS requires '121' but refers to 11+ in its admissions policy. Is that an 'STTS' 121 or a 11+ 121?

Assuming it's an STTS 121, and anything 'over' an STTS 121 is just 'numerical packing material' and not relevant, what of the 'top down' process of selection?
STTS is the 11 plus score. There is no "top down process", it is on distance once a pupil qualifies. (I think STTS stands for Standardised Transfer Test Score, or something like that)
scary mum
fluff4brains

Post by fluff4brains »

AFAIK, STTS is the 'Secondary Transfer Test Score', and that it's weighted in such a way that it's apples and oranges comparing STTS with CEM 11+. Happy to be corrected on that - I tried normalising the two scores and with my sub-CSE maths skills and a couple of numbers from the board here, observed that they were about the same percentage.

Glad the top down thing doesn't work in Bucks. We got a note with the Rank scores for Slough Consortium GS - bit of a slap in the face with the reality kipper.

Sorry to poke another question in - does anyone know if distance means 'distance if you're in catchment' or literally... distance from door to door?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Door to door, or really roof to roof, it's as the crow flies.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

One think worth noting is that the will offer all in catchment (via distance) before they offer any out of catchment. So for instance an out of catchment person could live closer to the school then an in catchment but would not receive an offer until after iykwim
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

kittymum wrote:One think worth noting is that the will offer all in catchment (via distance) before they offer any out of catchment. So for instance an out of catchment person could live closer to the school then an in catchment but would not receive an offer until after iykwim
This is true - for our nearest grammar quite a few of the OOC applicants live closer than some of the in-catchment applicants who still live quite some distance from the edge of the catchment area at the other end. Come to think about it, it's inevitable unless the school is slap-bang in the middle of the catchment area, and the catchment area is a perfect circle! Most of the "close-in" OOCs do manage to get places though.
Marylou