Knole, WOK or Wilmington?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mehere

Knole, WOK or Wilmington?

Post by Mehere »

Our dyslexic DD failed the Kent test despite exceeding the required aggregate score of 320 by passing Maths and Reasoning, but failing English by 1 mark. Our HT did not appeal.

Our plan B is Knole and if we get a place we know she would be in their grammar stream. We liked the school and are going to their grammar event this Wednesday.

We are ploughing through all the advice in the appeals section as we are considering appealing to WOK and/or Wilmington girls. We will probably list them on our CAF to keep our options open.

Does anyone have any experience of appeal to either of these schools? I guess we will be appealing on two counts - not passing and probable oversubscription. Is Wilmington (as it is closer to London) likely to be more oversubscribed? Another thread suggested Dartford would be more oversubscribed than Wilmington, does anyone have any thoughts on Wilmington v WOK - we liked both schools.

Kent did not give DD any extra time for the tests (did give 10% for written story) despite an Ed Psych report stating she was entitled to 25% (Bexley and Newstead gave 25% extra time). Does anyone know of any dyslexics in Kent who were awarded extra time for the tests? My understanding is no one had extra time.

I am also concerned if we go to appeal, about her levels. At end Y5 she was Maths 5C, Reading 5C and Writing 4C. I don't feel we could realistically boost the writing score much (certainly not to a 5) before the appeal. Her books do not look neat and tidy and there was inconsistent teaching and little evidence of any work in Y5. This has been addressed by the school but its too late for us. On the plus side, DD is in the 'extended' Maths and English groups - working to take level 6 if ready. Also the HT has said he would support our appeal (just wish he had tried a HT appeal first though)!

The Ed Psych report gave verbal comprehension of 96th percentile, perceptual reasoning 75th percentile, working memory and processing speed were Average but spelling was on the 2nd percentile!

Is it worth appealing? - any advice from Kent parents would be welcome.
mystery

Re: Knole, WOK or Wilmington?

Post by mystery »

Give it a go for Weald. They took in a lot of marginal fails last year. Where was your head when you needed him. How annoying.
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

That's so tough to miss out by just 1 Mark and fingers crossed your DD can get through on appeal.

We were very impressed with the SENCO we spoke to at Weald. Our DD has Dyspraxic type issues and is starting to use a laptop at school. They were very welcoming of this and gave me confidence that they could support her.

I know nothing about appeals but would have thought it was worth a shot but worth a conversation with the SENCO about how they might support your daughter.

Good Luck!
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

[quote="Mehere"]Our dyslexic DD failed the Kent test despite exceeding the required aggregate score of 320 by passing Maths and Reasoning, but failing English by 1 mark. Our HT did not appeal.

Kent did not give DD any extra time for the tests (did give 10% for written story) despite an Ed Psych report stating she was entitled to 25% (Bexley and Newstead gave 25% extra time). Does anyone know of any dyslexics in Kent who were awarded extra time for the tests? My understanding is no one had extra time.

Hi
With regard the extra time for dyslexia did you apply for your dd to have extra time in her sats tests? Your dd's primary would have to carried out a reading/writing test and then given the results to KCC including details of any extra time given to her for sats. KCC consider all the evidence and awarded extra time of the 10% for writing based on that.

I can't really help with the question on Wilmington but I do know WoK and would certainly/ advise putting Weald on your scaf to keep your options open. Have you spoken to the SenCo to see what help is on offer for dyslexic girls at WoK ? Without knowing her actual scores it is difficult to hazard a guess but WoK do have quite a few non qual appeals every year so its worth a try
Mehere

Post by Mehere »

Thanks - we were impressed by the SENCO at Weald and feel they would be able to support DD.

It's good to know there were a few marginal fails at WOK which they took in last year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now