Chis & Sid or Beths Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
candy floss

Chis & Sid or Beths Grammar

Post by candy floss »

Has anyone got any thoughts/feedback on Beths Grammar?
Both Chis and Sid and Beths are within travelling distance as we live in Chislehurst, and apart from one being mixed and one being a boys school I cannot decide which would be best for my son. I would be happy for him to go to either. They are both on the same bus route with Beths being about 10/15 minutes further along the route. Would really appreciate any feedback, particuarly about Beths. Thank you so much!
Boggins' Dad

Re: Chis & Sid or Beths Grammar

Post by Boggins' Dad »

candy floss wrote:Has anyone got any thoughts/feedback on Beths Grammar?
Both Chis and Sid and Beths are within travelling distance as we live in Chislehurst, and apart from one being mixed and one being a boys school I cannot decide which would be best for my son. I would be happy for him to go to either. They are both on the same bus route with Beths being about 10/15 minutes further along the route. Would really appreciate any feedback, particuarly about Beths. Thank you so much!
Tough to say.

We were at BETHS on Wed last week and Chis & Sid this morning. Both are good schools. For us BETHS a longer bus commute but DS preferred it.

The open day at BETHS was for me far better organised but it was an evening thing rather than this morning's in-hours visit. We had one (utterly charming) year 9 boy who was with us throughout the visit and gave us an honest view on anything we asked him. No spin.

Were you able to visit either?
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

Chis & Sids open evening is tonight, is it possible for you to get there ? It may help with your decision.
Fingerscrossedmum

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

We chose Beth's over C&S and are really happy with our choice. DS didnt know anyone when he started (he is now in Year 8 ) and he settled in really quickly and has a lovely group of friends. We're in Bromley and he manages the journey fine- there are a number of boys that come back this way.

My only slight criticism is that we don't get a huge amount of feedback on how he's doing, last year his reports were all about numerical levels - this might just be the difference between primary and secondary school of course and Parents Evening was much more indepth. I do assume however that if there were any concerns the school would be in touch!!

PS on the off chance you are K with DS starting with F, it's A with DS C (very secret squirrel I know!)
candy floss

Post by candy floss »

Thanks Boggins' Dad, I really appreciate your comments.

Yes, we have visited both schools......daytime and evening. Like you, we had two delightful boys showing us around, who also answered every question we had. The teachers were also very open, and were only too happy for us to step into their lessons so they could tell us exactly what they were doing. I was very impressed with the open events, the boys who attend the school and the school itself. I guess we did not anticipate being bowled over so much by this school which has thrown me completely.

DS certainly prefers Beths, but as it is a slightly longer journey and a school that I hadnt previously considered, I just thought i'd put the question out there on the forum, to see what anyone elses views and experiences were on Beths, before we finally make our minds up.
candy floss

Post by candy floss »

Thanks FingersCrossedMum. Your comment was exactly what I wanted to hear. I was curious if there were many other DC heading back towards Bromley.
With Townley just around the corner and having a similar finishing time, how does your DS find the buses.......a scramble to get on, or reasonably ok? What sort of time does he get home? All very daft questions I know!

Ps Loving your secret squirrel codes......alas, I am not who you thought i might be!
Fingerscrossedmum

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

Hello anyway!
I was also worried about bus stop madness, but actually the 269 stop coming this way is surprisingly quiet (certainly compared to the other stops!) DS meets both Beths boys and a number of the Townley girls both ways each day.

He tends to get home at about 4.45 but that's mainly because he faffs about leaving school - on days when he gets his act together he can be home by 4.20.

Please feel free to ask any questions.
candy floss

Post by candy floss »

Thank you so much Fingerscrossedmum. Really appreciate your feedback and you've helped rid me of my bus worries!
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Just being curious but where do the boys play sport? A field next to or should I say on the A20 can not be a sensible place to play sport imo.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now