Kent appeal? - failed the English

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Agamble

Kent appeal? - failed the English

Post by Agamble »

My DS fell short on the English element of the Kent Test and wondered if anyone has experience or advice for this type of appeal?
We were really hoping for one of the SS in West Kent - are we dreaming??!!
He scored:
Maths 133
Reasoning 129
English 102
Total 364

His year 5 SATS were:
Maths 5a
Reading 4a
Writing 4b
He is in top set for maths, now working towards level 6.

No CATS at our school
Any advice greatly appreciated!! - thank you
tigger2

Re: Kent appeal? - failed the English

Post by tigger2 »

Hi Agamble

I know that this won't be news that you want to hear but I think that these marks are on the low side to have a realistic chance of succeeding at a Judd or Skinners appeal. Non qual appeals at either are difficult to win but if you feel strongly about having a go you could put Skinners down on the scaf and review your ds's English scores in March and see if the school would support an appeal. Many children make a huge amount of progress between now and then in their final primary year. I do know boys who have entered Skinners with average levels in English so it does happen .

Do you have a good non selective lined up and are you going to appeal for TWGSB?
Agamble

Post by Agamble »

Hi Tigger
We were thinking Skinners.
Yes, I know it's a real long shot .....
Worth a try - we do have a plan B if all else fails, so not looking to appeal more than once!
Last edited by Agamble on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agamble

Kent Appeals Question

Post by Agamble »

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has a view or any experience on whether an appeal panel would look more favourably on a high aggregate score over the pass mark, but failing one paper vs a pass, but not high enough for that particular school?
Or what they may favour more in general?
Many thanks in advance...............
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

An appeal panel is made up of several individuals who may have quite different views.

There are no rules for what weight the panel should give to a particular bit of evidence. It is entirely up to the individual panel member to decide, so I'm not sure there's an easy answer to your question.

Even if someone could tell you what in practice often appears to happen, your particular panel could turn out to take a very different approach! :)
Etienne
Agamble

Post by Agamble »

Thanks Etienne,
I am trying to get my head around the appeal and I am having trouble not making the extenuating circumcumstances go against him as far as being deemed suitable!
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Someone has just posted on in the Kent section that Skinners have published their cut off as 364.
Agamble

Post by Agamble »

Yes I have just seen it - how very frustrating!
So it seems his scores weren't too low after all.
Do you think we will still need to have loads of evidence if he reached the required score anyway?
Any thoughts, much appreciated.........
hempsteadlad

Post by hempsteadlad »

Ask the school his position on the waiting list. It is like a domino. Those who get offered a place at Judd, often have a place at Skinners, so Skinners lists moves faster than other schools. Good Luck.
pdharmendra

Post by pdharmendra »

Hello Agamble

A nearly same case here for my DS. He missed because of Englishhhhhhhhhhhh..

His score as :
Maths 119
Reasoning 121
English 104
Total 344

And his current school level is same as your son only in Maths 5C instead of 5A.

As per my view your DS secured TWBGS on appeal but not sure for Skinner as Skinner is super selective !!

Is anyone has idea about how appeal process works and what things need to be collected for the panel?

Your advice is highly appreciated.