computer/xbox games

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
onenewparent

computer/xbox games

Post by onenewparent »

:)
Last edited by onenewparent on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
onenewparent

Re: computer/xbox games

Post by onenewparent »

nobody interested in games? :)
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

DS loves Minecraft, he runs his own servers, makes his own YouTube videos, links with friends from school, plays with his sister. The biggest advantage is that he can talk with his friends who could be quite away from him using FaceTime or other means.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2 is into something called Hearthstone at the moment. Also various other things the names of which escape me. Oddly enough, I've always been better than DH at foreign languages, but defer to his superior understanding of what DS2 is talking about. And trusting that not too many of them are an '18'...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

onenewparent wrote:Hi, what's the best game for children going on to the secondary school? minecraft?
What do you mean by "best"? Something that is most educationally valuable or something that the kids would most enjoy playing?

My son and his friends would probably say that Fifa 15 is the best game at the moment but maybe that's not what you had in mind?
onenewparent

Post by onenewparent »

Hi, thanks for the reply. Hearthstone is so cool. Fifa 15 is ok. yes looking for something more educational(definitely not age 18) as well as fun to play with. lots of children love Minecraft.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I'm probably in a small minority here, but why not forget about the education value of him playing on the xbox and let him play it for fun, obviously for a suitable time... There's plenty of other time to be 'educated'
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I would agree with Stroudydad but also say that Minecraft keeps everyone happy from that point of view. It got DS into programming, not to mention geology and geography!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I have 2 minecrafters in this house and dd is really getting into using python for programming as well. It is amazing how the craze is growing dd and ds went along to see a Minecraft talk by the guys from Fyre UK who have written some of the books on minecrafting and they were the oldest kids there.

This is a link to the ordinance survey Minecraft map of Britain

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/innovat ... itain.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll stick to Lego Lord of the Rings and lego the Hobbit ....they are more my thing :lol:
onenewparent

Post by onenewparent »

Minecraft and Hearthstone in the house now. will definitely get Fifa 15 too. very happy :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now