Parmiters or wggs?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

aman

Parmiters or wggs?

Post by aman »

My dc has a good score to go to wggs or Parmiters . Out of catchment seat.
I have not visited Parmiters but need advice which one should we choose?
KS10

Re: Parmiters or wggs?

Post by KS10 »

You really should visit the school. Can you do so this week? Sixth Form Open Evening is on Thursday.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

I don't think WGGS has any places available to girls outside the two catchment areas. So I'd go for Parmiter's. Unless you mean that you live in the outer area for WGGS.
aman

Post by aman »

I meant outer catchment
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

aman wrote:My dc has a good score to go to wggs or Parmiters . Out of catchment seat.
I have not visited Parmiters but need advice which one should we choose?
All due respect but this is a choice for you and your DD to make. Clearly they are both great schools with great results and cover all the key academic subjects, sports and music.

There is one big obvious difference which is coed vs single sex education which you should consider and your DD will have an opinion I would think. My DD really wanted WGGS and although I was against single sex schools initially she has really thrived and my son equally at WBGS.

Other consideration is the Dame Helen effect, she does polarise opinion. I love her views but many find her intimidating but once in the school you will not find a better advocate for a high class education and WGGS girls.

I vote WGGS.
Radlettmother

Post by Radlettmother »

Just one delicate query. I'm not sure of Dame Helen's age (although I saw her speak I was near the back) and I wonder whether she is likely to retire in the next few years? Just something my DH said to me following our visit. Given how a head can make or break a school, I wondered if anyone could give an opinion on this.
Shawshank

Post by Shawshank »

Radlettmother wrote:Just one delicate query. I'm not sure of Dame Helen's age (although I saw her speak I was near the back) and I wonder whether she is likely to retire in the next few years? Just something my DH said to me following our visit. Given how a head can make or break a school, I wondered if anyone could give an opinion on this.
I would say it's extremely likely. And when you have situations where a successful "my way or highway" style of leader moves on after a long time, it is not unknown for things to unravel extremely quickly in the period thereafter.
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

Heads can move from any school, and often do, but I've heard it said that Mrs Hyde ( as she prefers to be called) will leave WGGS 'in a box'. Obviously we would not wish this to be so and before my girls started at the school, I was worried about this very thing. However, there is such a strong infrastructure of deputy and assistant heads, and senior staff at the school that I am sure that whatever happens with Heads, that the school will continue from strength to strength with the same ethos.
This peace of mind also comes from the situation at my younger children's primary where we have just had a very strong, longstanding head teacher leave and be replaced by a younger one, and it all seems to be going very well :)
Hera

Post by Hera »

Also you can never really tell what will happen with the leadership within any school. Who would have thought the head of Watford Boys would leave before the head of the girls school.
Shawshank

Post by Shawshank »

I guess each situation is different k1w1mum. Our long standing primary head retired just before my eldest daughter joined the school - and things became difficult very quickly thereafter. So a different outcome to yours.