Help - how do I appeal for non-qualification in Bucks?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

NanoNano

School says I need to put them first on CAF ???

Post by NanoNano »

Hi, unfortunately my dc just missed passing his 11+ and so we are working on review/appeal chances.

My problem is that his secondary school of choice has told parents that if we put that school first we will get in (even though out of area). Obviously, with wanting to appeal we need to put GS first on list so not sure what we should do.

In theory schools don't find out where they are on the list, but in the BCC Moving to Secondary booklet it states

"We won’t tell any school where you ranked it on your application before we offer places."

That seems a bit ambiguous and implies that the school will learn where they were on the list. Also when speaking to my dc's head she said that schools do find out preference order.

I guess my question is when do they find out? I know it says on this site that "Schools are not told where you ranked them in your preferences. Admission authorities are expressly forbidden by law (again, it is enshrined in the Admissions Code) from passing on this information." but I can't find that info anywhere in the code.

Sorry so long and waffley a message, but the head teachers really are messing with my mind :?
Amber

Re: School says I need to put them first on CAF ???

Post by Amber »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=39740" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That may help. :D
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I bet this is the blooming misbourne again isn't it?
Write your gs choices first, they will simply have "not qualified" written next to them and won't be considered in that event, but will allow you to appeal and will trigger the inclusion of a form to request an appeal pack.
Follow it up with your preferred list of uppers in the order you or your child liked the best.
When your child is happily at school in September find the head of the school which has caused you additional stress and anxiety and either a. Blow a big raspberry at him or b. Kick him in the shins and run away. Both of these actions should be done wearing a knitted balaclava over your face for fear of recognition if your dc is attending the school of course.
You may not get your first choice of upper, but it will not he because you put two gs above it on the caf.
Good luck with all your plans and the review.
NanoNano

Post by NanoNano »

Thanks Amber - seen that already but thought I would just check if anyone had more details based on the admissions code as technically it appears they are being unlawful :?
NanoNano

Post by NanoNano »

southbucks3 wrote:I bet this is the blooming misbourne again isn't it?
Most certainly is - he is responsible for a fair few anxiety attacks in the local area :wink:
southbucks3 wrote:Write your gs choices first, they will simply have "not qualified" written next to them and won't be considered in that event, but will allow you to appeal and will trigger the inclusion of a form to request an appeal pack
That is what I thought would happen but the mention in the BCC guide and what my dcs Head said made me wonder if there was something else going on.
southbucks3 wrote:...Kick him in the shins and run away... wearing a knitted balaclava over your face for fear of recognition if your dc is attending the school of course.

:lol: Might just be doing that and maybe to dcs current head too :lol:

Thanks for your help though if anyone knows at what point the schools do find out that would put my mind at rest, but I feel reassured (and a bit calmer) that GSs should appear first.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The school never finds out where you put them ...
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The Beaconsfield School are at it too, I understand.
scary mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Could you please tell your son's head that he/she as a head should know better and needs to stop giving out incorrect information. The schools have no access to your rankings. They are sent only to the council and remain there. How long has your head been a provider of information to anxious parents as a Head? Shame on them.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

The only time that the school finds out that you hadn't put them first is when you don't appear on their offer list. They get a list of all who apply ie who name them anywhere on their CAF, and they then put this list in ranked order according to their oversubscription policy (assuming they are of curse oversubscribed). This list is given to the LA who do the allocations, and then give back to the school a list of children who will receive offers. If your dc was in the top 150 (or whatever PAN is) children on the ranked list, but doesn't appear on the offer list, it will be because you have received an offer from a higher choice school on your CAF. So even then the school don't know exactly where on the CAF they appeared but they can deduce that it wasn't first.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

May I suggest people telephone admissions and report these schools?

You must put schools in your order of preference and, if you intend to appeal/review, put any GS you want above Uppers.