NC levels required to prepare for St.Olaves?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mumsdarling2

NC levels required to prepare for St.Olaves?

Post by mumsdarling2 »

DS sitting for Olaves in 2015. Wondering if anyone could shed some light on the NC levels required at the start of y5 to give DS (and me) some hope that he may have a fighting chance ...
Fredthecat

Re: NC levels required to prepare for St.Olaves?

Post by Fredthecat »

We went to the open day this year. Asked the math teacher about the test and was told that NC 4 for Math is sufficient. There is a sample paper on their website.
Billie

Post by Billie »

No disrespect, but those that actually get in are generally way above NC 4. Those I know of were 5b Maths at end of year 5 or 5c with a summer spent doing a lot of extra work. The sample paper is not a whole paper I understand and there are a few questions beyond that to test them.
Fredthecat

Post by Fredthecat »

My son took the test in Sept. According to him, math was not difficult. In fact, it was very much like the sample paper on their website. Not multiple choice format and he had to show his working at the side. The English paper, however, was a tricky one. An hour to read the passage & answer the questions and also write an essay based on the passage.
Jiffreturns

Post by Jiffreturns »

My recollection based on 2 DSs who passed the Olave's test some years ago is that the calculations required aren't that difficult, it's knowing how to use and apply them to the given problem.
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Thanks so much for the replies. Any thoughts on levels for English?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now