Pass rate for boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
andyb

Pass rate for boys

Post by andyb »

I have heard on the school grapevine that less than 5 boys from my sons school passed the 11+ this year out of approx 35. This really surprised me as the school is very well regarded - usually comes near the top of the Bucks league tables.

This has got me seriously concerned. My son is a bright boy (top half of the top set for both maths and literacy) but he is definitely not in the top 5 for his year.

My question is - is this the normal pass rate for boys or could it be a blip? - unfortunately I don't know how many boys passed in previous years. What can I do to maximize his chances of being one of the few? - I don't want to have him tutored but I would like him to be able to demonstrate his ability. He is in year 5 and has his hear set on going to the RGS.

My other issue is he is a July birthday - how much will this "help" him?

Great forum by the way.
katel

Post by katel »

Last year at my daughter's school they had 11 passes - only 2 boys! And more boys than girls actually took the test.

Not helpful, I know - but interesting.
OptoMK

Post by OptoMK »

Same in our school andyb. Four or five boys qualified in a very able class of about 35, of which two thirds are boys. It does appear (saw it on another thread) that fewer boys qualify, which is odd as there are presumably at least as many grammar school places available for boys as there are for girls.

Post by Guest »

Maybe there are more fee paying all boys prep schools in bucks to balance the numbers!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi All

Just thought you might like the facts on this debate.

In 2007 3744 boys were registered to take the 11+. Of those 1172 qualified, i.e. 31%

For girls the numbers were 3475 registered to take the test and 983 qualified, i.e. 28%.

The figures for Bucks resident children at state schools only is 24% for both boys and girls.

Guest's supposition is therefore partly correct - more boys than girls succeed in the 11+ from either private schools or out of county schools. The imbalance is highest among out of county applicants, but there is no way of telling whether these are privately educated or from state schools.
OptoMK wrote:there are presumably at least as many grammar school places available for boys as there are for girls.

There are 542 places at Boys grammar schools, 660 places at Girls grammars and 918 places at co-educatonal schools.

Sally-Anne
OptoMK

Post by OptoMK »

Thanks Sally-Anne. Facts are excellent.

It must have been you that posted this info for last year's data, on which my incorrect conclusion was based. Am a scientist too - should have known better than to make assumptions on a single dataset. Reassuring to know it evens out over a couple of years.
katel

Post by katel »

Sally-Anne - do you have similar stats for other counties? I'd love to see the Kent ones - pretty please? Or point me in the right direction?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Katel

All our facts and figures are found by 'nosing' around the Bucks County Website.

So if you looked at the Kent County Website, you too may find some interesting facts...and if you do, please do post them in the Kent Section.

Patricia
bucksmum

Post by bucksmum »

Hi Sally-Anne

Just out of interest - Based on the figures in your email does that mean that more children (2155) qualified than the number of actual grammar places available (2120) - If one assumed that all those qualified were from within the county and within catchment (hypothetical), how would it work - Would the places then be allocated to those who got marks closer to 141? How would they allocate GS places for successful appeals?
BUCKSMUM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Bucksmum,

Places are allocated on distance from school and order on your CAF - you get your highest preference that can offer you a place. Scores are irrelevant and ditto appeals - they are usually all finished before allocation. if you live in Bucks you will get offered a GS place.