SW Herts music results - post here

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Harvester

SW Herts music results - post here

Post by Harvester »

Lots of academic scores posted to various threads on this forum. I am wondering what the spread of results for the music auditions was. The music audition scoring seems somewhat mystical to me. Would be useful to know what instrument and grade, if any, was played.

I can start the ball rolling:

DD got 32/45, playing a piano grade 3 piece.
Caro

Re: SW Herts music results - post here

Post by Caro »

My DS got 39 playing guitar grade 2
Hera

Post by Hera »

33 piano grade 4 piece

This will be a useful thread for people considering whether or not to enter for the music as I think it may well prove that grade and level reached has no bearing on the results. I wonder if a child say at higher grade played an easier piece would potentially score higher? As the OP says it is hard to know quite what they are looking for.
franktuttle

Post by franktuttle »

Violin Grade 3 - 41
hh_hopeful

Post by hh_hopeful »

DD got 44 playing Grade 6 piano

Obviously delighted with her score but it must be marked completely differently to the ABRSM exams as one would never expect to score that highly in the board exams (a distinction is around 85%).
Richard12

Post by Richard12 »

Does anyone know how many students were called back for the practical assessment?
hh_hopeful

Post by hh_hopeful »

Not sure on numbers, but the day we went they were running 3 simultaneous rooms of auditions and there were approximately 30 on each list, so 90 that day. I don't know how many dates they ran the auditions for though. If anyone else knows that then you'd get a reasonable estimate of the number called back.
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

My BIL son got 35 playing grade 1 violin and that was despite a hiccup on the day. He was asked if he wanted accompanying and he didn't know how to answer as he had never been asked. He said yes and got in a muddle and out of sync. Didn't seem to affect the score much as 35 is a decent score IMO.
abcmum

Post by abcmum »

My DD received 44/45. Grade 4 violin. We have applied to SCD/Rickmansworth.

The assessment criteria is: Musicality, Accuracy and Communication/Presentation. They also ask questions afterward about what you play, do you play with others, etc. Different questions for each child. DD said she went blank when they asked her what type of music she liked but the examiner quickly and kindly moved on!
Richard12

Post by Richard12 »

Our DD sat the music test only. Are there any others like ourselves, who worry a partially selective school, could be quite tough academically? Our lovely daughter achieves average levels at primary school. The number of students achieving excellent GCSE's at Parmiters & WGSG are in the 90% bracket, whilst impressive, how challenging could this be for an average child? Whilst we want a very good school for our daughter, her happiness is paramount.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now