Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SSZZF

Aggs Appeal for 3 marks

Post by SSZZF »

Hi
Please any advice is most appreciated.
We are thinking of appealing as our daughter has missed out by 3 marks.We believe the main reason is, all the messing around the schools have done In changing the English paper back to NVR.
Is their any point appealing?
Has anyone won appeals from missing from a couple of marks?
We are local to school.
Thanksx
rocky_robin

Re: Aggs Appeal for 3 marks

Post by rocky_robin »

SSZZF wrote:Hi
Please any advice is most appreciated.
We are thinking of appealing as our daughter has missed out by 3 marks.We believe the main reason is, all the messing around the schools have done In changing the English paper back to NVR.
Is their any point appealing?
Has anyone won appeals from missing from a couple of marks?
We are local to school.
Thanksx
We're in the same boat, son missed Alty Boys by 3 marks but passed Sale by some distance. He is quite happy to be going to Sale, although we fall into the catchment for both

Son's weak area throughout the practice papers was the NVR, he would have done much better on a comprehension paper, indeed on another day he might have got the extra marks as he didn't finish one of the NVR papers

A number of people have asked if we are going to appeal but I don't see that we have any grounds and TBH my son is quite happy, I was disappointed at first, especially given how close he'd got and the fact that we hadn't used a tutor or anything to push him.

If we were to appeal on the grounds of the exam format (which I was quite angry about, not just the timing but the grounds for allowing the appeal) then presumably anyone who didn't hit 334 would have the same grounds for appeal

Given the margin of missing out, we assume that our son's papers and Creative Writing have been reviewed (not sure if anything was requested from school) and that internally AGSB have decided that his efforts do not warrant an upgrade to 334R.
Our son admitted that he hadn't given the Creative paper "his all" and it may not have been reflective of his abilities

I'm a great believer in things happening for a reason, so perhaps it was meant to be that he goes to Sale, where admittedly the rest of his peers have decided to go (including a few who passed Altrincham) and where he was more impressed on the open days in the summer

Perhaps you could argue that Sale's new format exam is the way to go and that the AGSB is still allowing children to be "hot-housed" to get through it without it necessarily indicating their ability to cope once at the school

I don't think we'd be inclined to have another 7-8 months of upheaval, but instead let our son enjoy his final year, knowing what is to come

That's unless someone really thinks we are penalising him by not going down the appeal route
Vicster

Post by Vicster »

I can't really see an appeal on the basis of the upheaval and last minute changes to the exam format being successful. The scores are standardised based only on the scores of this years entrants and all of the entrants have had the same level of upheaval and the same notification period about the exam format.
onthebrink

Post by onthebrink »

I would say that unless you had extenuating circumstances there wouldn't be any point. And by extenuating circumstances, I mean something that wouldn't have affected any other candidate. Missing by a point or two is really tough....( I have three children and each of them have failed the exams by 1 point!!!) All going to good schools though
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

An non qualification appeal for both these schools should not be undertaken lightly they are incredibly hard to win. Statisically due to the numbers taking the exams there will be around 100 odd children who have also missed out by less than 5 points though obviously not all will appeal. If you really really want the school and are prepared to be in limbo for months ( AGGs appeal results usually are given outIin late June early July) then there is no harm in trying. We appealed AGGS a few years ago no regrets as it got rid of the what ifs but from the outset it all seemed a foregone conclusion.