JHGS Common Entrance?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bucksdad8623

JHGS Common Entrance?

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Hi Everyone,
A big congratulations to all those successful this year, to the many who didn’t get the wanted result you have my deepest sympathy.
A year down the line my DS not securing a GS place is hard to accept, but I think things will eventually work out for the best.

Can anyone fill me in on what has (or probably didn’t happen) at JHGS? I’d heard a rumour that the governors were considering a common entrance exam to fill the unused places in year 7, the aim was to fill the unused places before next September.
I assumed there was some truth to this as JHGS were late releasing details of late transfer entry. I asked the school why they were late and got a vague response along the lines that were considering options (or something like that).

Now I’ve received the letter inviting my DS to apply to sit late transfer test as normal.
Does anyone know whether JHGS had a change of heart or whether they was any substance to the rumours in the first place?
Guest55

Re: JHGS Common Entrance?

Post by Guest55 »

All Bucks GS offer a 12+ and a 13+ entry tests. They do vary between schools so try to find out the format.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... dure-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I haven't heard any rumours I'm afraid.

RGS made themselves very unpopular when they ran a late entry test four years ago in similar circumstances. (These two schools always seem to be playing push me pull you).
The late, curriculum based test was comparatively easy to pass by all accounts and the ratio of pass/fail told a similar story, but of course not every body heard about it and not all that did felt prepared with the short notice. They did mop up a few of the near misses though, but obviously that was also denying the effectiveness of the original 11+ test and the appeal system for recruitment of the correct pupils, so highly contentious.

I hate the fact that some schools set their own 12+ that is truly 100% curriculum/subject based, when the candidates vary from attending top flight independent schools to failing uppers. :(
Not fair at all imo.

However I do know several 12+ successes, from Indies and a few from upper, so definitely worth a bash.
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Hi Guest 55,
What I was getting at was the rumour that JHGS were planning to do something out of the ordinary to deal with the unfilled places which I presume must be hitting their budget.
I assume late transfer in year 8 is for September 2015 entry but the common entrance test, if it had gone ahead would have resulted in places being filled possibly by next Spring.
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Hi SB3,
Congratulations by the way.
I’m glad you replied as you seem to know what’s going on :) .
I agree about your comment that curriculum based 12+ tests, such as that for RGS, do disadvantage state school pupils. Hopefully less so for the CEM 12+.
Pupils who attend good independent schools will always have an advantage compared to state schools, that’s why you pay the money. Life isn’t fair, you just have to get on with it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now