'Outstanding' Ofsted for BV

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nicolajane1971

'Outstanding' Ofsted for BV

Post by nicolajane1971 »

We have just heard that BV who had their Ofsted last week have achieved 'outstanding' across all categories. Thought this might be useful information for any families that are still undecided.
nicolajane1971

Re: 'Outstanding' Ofsted for BV

Post by nicolajane1971 »

Apparently I have committed a 'faux pas' by not providing the link.

Happy reading:

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-rep ... ELS/137988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
um

Post by um »

Super :) . Although I am not surprised. I was very impressed with BV when I visited a few years back.
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Suspect all selective schools would get this with all their advantages.
um

Post by um »

It was actually 'Satisfactory' a few years back.

I feel the new headteacher has great vision and leadership and the school and its reputation have improved rapidly.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

I've never personally visited bv but I've noticed a lot of dps have been getting very excited about bv. Not a bad thing being said. I know someone who's done well enough to get into chb and fw but is choosing bv and its not even the nearest gs to them.
nicolajane1971

Post by nicolajane1971 »

They are surrounded by some excellent comps (with outstanding ofsteds), I'm glad they've stepped up to the mark. Our experience with a DS in Y8 has been fabulous. They also do a huge amount with the local comprehensives, in particular with sporting events. They do have those amazing playing fields, must be worth a fortune given their location!
TVRDad

Post by TVRDad »

DS1 is currently debating between BVGS and QMGS having enough points for both. He and I preferred teaching and campus at QMGS but much easier to get to BV (we are in Lichfield) and sport and music facilities are amazing. It also has a very large 6th Form as it seems to pinch a lot of girls from SCGS. Head is very good and still relatively new in post and making lots of changes. The fact it has crept above KEA on points required is telling its own story.
FourOaksDad

Post by FourOaksDad »

nicolajane1971 wrote:They are surrounded by some excellent comps (with outstanding ofsteds), I'm glad they've stepped up to the mark. Our experience with a DS in Y8 has been fabulous. They also do a huge amount with the local comprehensives, in particular with sporting events. They do have those amazing playing fields, must be worth a fortune given their location!
Hi all, I've been lurking here ever since discovering the forum while googling to find out when we would eventually be getting our 11+ results! I've found the posts very interesting and informative, and I'd like to thank the regular contributors for creating such a useful resource.

Anyway, my dilemma is this. DS did very well in the 11+ and could easily make it into BV, which is near to home and was also my own old school. However, he is much keener to go to Arthur Terry (AT), one of the aforementioned excellent comprehensives in the area, which is also close to home and has an outstanding reputation as one of the best comprehensives in the country.

I've visited both schools, and while BV has improved since my time, it still seems rather stuffy and, in particular, seems rather lacking in IT provision. I'm also not at all keen on single-sex education after experiencing it myself. AT, on the other hand, impressed me very much, with obviously dedicated leadership and competent staff making good use of excellent facilities. It may be a bit weak on the science side though (DS is the sciency rather than arty type). On the whole, though, I'm struggling to argue against DS's keenness to go to AT, where most of his friends will also be going to.

Of the other schools, KEA doesn't really seem to offer any advantage over BV. KEFW, being mixed, would be great, but is just too far away and awkward for us to get to.

Is anybody else struggling with this type of decision? Would it be a waste to throw away the chance of a grammar school education? Any input would be appreciated! TIA
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

FourOaksDad wrote:
nicolajane1971 wrote:They are surrounded by some excellent comps (with outstanding ofsteds), I'm glad they've stepped up to the mark. Our experience with a DS in Y8 has been fabulous. They also do a huge amount with the local comprehensives, in particular with sporting events. They do have those amazing playing fields, must be worth a fortune given their location!
Hi all, I've been lurking here ever since discovering the forum while googling to find out when we would eventually be getting our 11+ results! I've found the posts very interesting and informative, and I'd like to thank the regular contributors for creating such a useful resource.

Anyway, my dilemma is this. DS did very well in the 11+ and could easily make it into BV, which is near to home and was also my own old school. However, he is much keener to go to Arthur Terry (AT), one of the aforementioned excellent comprehensives in the area, which is also close to home and has an outstanding reputation as one of the best comprehensives in the country.

I've visited both schools, and while BV has improved since my time, it still seems rather stuffy and, in particular, seems rather lacking in IT provision. I'm also not at all keen on single-sex education after experiencing it myself. AT, on the other hand, impressed me very much, with obviously dedicated leadership and competent staff making good use of excellent facilities. It may be a bit weak on the science side though (DS is the sciency rather than arty type). On the whole, though, I'm struggling to argue against DS's keenness to go to AT, where most of his friends will also be going to.

Of the other schools, KEA doesn't really seem to offer any advantage over BV. KEFW, being mixed, would be great, but is just too far away and awkward for us to get to
Is anybody else struggling with this type of decision? Would it be a waste to throw away the chance of a grammar school education? Any input would be appreciated! TIA
Arthur Terry IS a great comp- BUT if BV is on your doorstep then I would say you can't go wrong with BV. Try to do a re-visit at both schools if you can- a LOT of folks would be VERY envious of your options. Good luck