Booklady Review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Booklady

Booklady Review

Post by Booklady »

Have been unashamedly picking various members brains whilst putting together review for DD2 - but here I have a question for all who have been through the process or who have opinions on such things!

DD scored 117(.47), split 125VR, 112Quant, 104NVR.

Relevant marks were lost on the NVR - shame as that's usually her strongest subject with very high CAT scores past 2 years.

Here's the thing though - have just picked up all her scores from the head - and there are a lot (private school - they do loads of assessments and keep good records), but, what they have now done is translated their marks into SAT levels (which they don't formally do at school - they set their own exams) - and which has resulted in some less pretty scores on the sheet! Especially in English and most especially in spelling. Now she had a year at her state primary school - in year 2 - where essentially the whole class fell a year behind in spelling!! and we did not find out until well into Y3. She has never completely caught up due to this bad year. We have also had a year of sub-optimal English teaching at her current school - which was not mentioned until parents evening at the end of Year 5 - when the less good teacher left! I think these have both had an impact. I also wonder at how good teachers who don't routinely do SAT levels are at actually assessing them!

The trouble with assessments - you can end up with a pretty mixed up bunch!!

Do we rely on the good letter from the head, and not mention these less good aspects? Or should we flag them up? I am in two minds!! :roll: :roll:
Rags

Re: Booklady Review

Post by Rags »

Not sure if this is what it applies to, but:
on the headteacher's form, section 4 Other Prior academic attainment. '... If recording a result for a test that has a battery of test elements you include all results and the dates of the tests.'
Emphasis in original.

So there may be some restrictions on what can be left out, if you include any.

Sorry if I'm not being helpful :(
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Rags wrote:Not sure if this is what it applies to, but:
on the headteacher's form, section 4 Other Prior academic attainment. '... If recording a result for a test that has a battery of test elements you include all results and the dates of the tests.'
Emphasis in original.

So there may be some restrictions on what can be left out, if you include any.

Sorry if I'm not being helpful :(
Yes the form contains everything - good and less good. Which I can do nothing about - he won't leave anything off. But do I make a comment about the less good, or just rely on the good to carry them though. That's what I am toying with!! Sorry if I wasn't very clear. :roll:
Rags

Post by Rags »

Booklady wrote:Yes the form contains everything - good and less good. Which I can do nothing about - he won't leave anything off. But do I make a comment about the less good, or just rely on the good to carry them though. That's what I am toying with!! Sorry if I wasn't very clear. :roll:

Ahh, ok. Now I understand.

We were told, don't mention anything negative - don't give them any ammunition of cause so suspect you have any doubts. Positive only.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Rags wrote:
Booklady wrote:Yes the form contains everything - good and less good. Which I can do nothing about - he won't leave anything off. But do I make a comment about the less good, or just rely on the good to carry them though. That's what I am toying with!! Sorry if I wasn't very clear. :roll:

Ahh, ok. Now I understand.

We were told, don't mention anything negative - don't give them any ammunition of cause so suspect you have any doubts. Positive only.
OK - that's what I will do then!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now