CRGS Enquiry Evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chinners

CRGS Enquiry Evening

Post by chinners »

Hi,

Did anyone go to the enquiry evening at CRGS please? What was said?

I was unable to make it as I had parents consultation evening for my DS.

On another note, anyone's advice ? KEGS vs CRGS?? able to get into any, live in Chelmsford.
nssdesikan

Re: CRGS Enquiry Evening

Post by nssdesikan »

chinners wrote:Hi, Did anyone go to the enquiry evening at CRGS please? What was said?
Been to CRGS yesterday afternoon. If you have been to 'open day' in July, this one was slightly formal, we had been taken on a tour by a member of staff. He explained about the facilities, when & how these have been used by the students during the pit stop.

This was followed by the HT speach for about 10 min. He made it clear even before starting his lecture that he won't/can't say anything about the possibility of a DC getting a place in CRGS with specific marks.

He went through series of slides, including the no of students intake in 11+ (120 places), students enrolled to Oxbridge (40 - last year, 140 - last 4 years), curriculam, various clubs, exchange programmes etc. There wasn't Q&A session.
chinners

Post by chinners »

nssdesikan wrote:
chinners wrote:Hi, Did anyone go to the enquiry evening at CRGS please? What was said?
Been to CRGS yesterday afternoon. If you have been to 'open day' in July, this one was slightly formal, we had been taken on a tour by a member of staff. He explained about the facilities, when & how these have been used by the students during the pit stop.

This was followed by the HT speach for about 10 min. He made it clear even before starting his lecture that he won't/can't say anything about the possibility of a DC getting a place in CRGS with specific marks.

He went through series of slides, including the no of students intake in 11+ (120 places), students enrolled to Oxbridge (40 - last year, 140 - last 4 years), curriculam, various clubs, exchange programmes etc. There wasn't Q&A session.
Thanks nssdesikan, sounds like I did not miss anything then. I was there on Tuesday for the 6th form open evening with my DD and saw the same slides, at least we had QA time! Off to KEGS shortly then...
nssdesikan

Post by nssdesikan »

chinners wrote: Thanks nssdesikan, sounds like I did not miss anything then. I was there on Tuesday for the 6th form open evening with my DD and saw the same slides, at least we had QA time! Off to KEGS shortly then...
Let us know what was transpired in KEGS pl!!!!!
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

I went to both CRGS and KEGS. The Head at KEGS was a lot more forthcoming re likely cut off scores. He thinks on offer day for in catchment about 339 and out of catchment about 360 and for both of these to come down by September. He said that there were less high scoring boys in the 360-370 area this year.

He was then talking about the school values and their hopes and the opportunities and trips and what subjects they take GCSEs in. He had a lengthy Q&A session and then everyone got taken off on tours by the boys.
chinners

Post by chinners »

Well summarised Nikkibeak. Loads of Q&A though...

Hearing that not many boys scored high gives hope to a few friends who were borderline - 338, 340.

My DS scored 352.093 was with him today hoping he would fall in love with KEGS, he didn't he has had his mind set on CRGS since out visit in July.... hmmmm decisions, decisions....
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

chinners wrote:Well summarised Nikkibeak. Loads of Q&A though...

Hearing that not many boys scored high gives hope to a few friends who were borderline - 338, 340.

My DS scored 352.093 was with him today hoping he would fall in love with KEGS, he didn't he has had his mind set on CRGS since out visit in July.... hmmmm decisions, decisions....
We always wanted KEGS and then after our visit in July both liked CRGS more but my DS was scared of getting a bus. He's since come around and asked me to put CRGS 1st. I've had KEGS in mind since he was about 4 :lol:
chinners

Post by chinners »

I am so glad to hear this Nikkibeak! My DS insists his gut tells him CRGS is the school for him. I also preferred CRGS BTW...Tried every angle, travel more modern, your sister across the road (though she is wanting CRGS for A level)... did NOT work... my DH is insisting on KEGS however. How to shift DH is challenge atm...
KB

Post by KB »

I do believe that at 11+ parents need a veto on secondary school choice because children of this age aren't mature enough to see the bigger picture and can be swayed by short term factors.
However where their choice is a reasonable one then it should be the overriding factor.
They are the ones who will have to spend the next 5/7 years there and school days aren't a breeze so when it gets tough it won't help if it wasn't their choice to be there.
All my children have loved CRGS but I don't know that I would have chosen for any of them to travel from near KEGS to it. However at one stage one of mine chose to travel a similar distance to another school over a well regarded local school and their passion about the decision persuaded us.

Not a bad choice to have to make though!
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

chinners wrote:I am so glad to hear this Nikkibeak! My DS insists his gut tells him CRGS is the school for him. I also preferred CRGS BTW...Tried every angle, travel more modern, your sister across the road (though she is wanting CRGS for A level)... did NOT work... my DH is insisting on KEGS however. How to shift DH is challenge atm...
I thought I was going to have some persuading of my DH but fortunately he was ok. My DS told him all the reasons he picks CRGS over KEGS and I told him all the reasons I prefer it and he agreed. Phew!

I did however get a lecture from my mum about the prestige of KEGS and the future etc. I had to tell her i'm more concerned about DS's happiness than being pretentious over a school name and that CRGS gets equally good results and has equal opportunities.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now