Current PP number in Grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
um

Current PP number in Grammar schools

Post by um »

Having just looked up the 2013 tables via the DFE (2014 figures not collated yet), I was surprised at how few PP children attend the grammar schools currently.

If the KE schools make up 20% of the new cohort with PP children (25% for Aston) as is their intention, it will be quite a big change.

The current figures (whole school; those eligible for PP) are:

KECHB 6.7%
KECHG 9.8%
KEFW 5.7%
KE Handsworth Girls 12.5%
KE Aston 20.3%

Also for the schools which have not changed admissions policies to offer PP preference (not part of KE Foundation):

BV 11.6%
SCGS 11%
Handsworth Grammar 27.2%
houseful

Re: Current PP number in Grammar schools

Post by houseful »

Thanks Um

Looking at the percentages they correlate with cut off scores and location. i.e Camp Hill with a high cut off have a lower PP percentage as compared to other schools except Five Ways where I presume the physical location of the school plays a part in the figures.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

um wrote:Having just looked up the 2013 tables via the DFE (2014 figures not collated yet), I was surprised at how few PP children attend the grammar schools currently.

If the KE schools make up 20% of the new cohort with PP children (25% for Aston) as is their intention, it will be quite a big change.

The current figures (whole school; those eligible for PP) are:

KECHB 6.7%
KECHG 9.8%
KEFW 5.7%
KE Handsworth Girls 12.5%
KE Aston 20.3%

Also for the schools which have not changed admissions policies to offer PP preference (not part of KE Foundation):

BV 11.6%
SCGS 11%
Handsworth Grammar 27.2%
I seriously don't think the pp percentages will increase much. It may in a few years time. So the full 20% pp allocations won't be taken up. So I doubt very much that the cut offs will go up.
D4ddy

Post by D4ddy »

I agree bob, maybe FW will see increase due to 200 cut of score?
Last edited by D4ddy on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D4ddy

Post by D4ddy »

Hi Um, what do you think?
um

Post by um »

Of course there will be an increase of PP children in the schools, yes.
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

I don't think the PP places will make much of a difference. I know at my sons school no one who is PP even applied in the first place. I think the grammar school system is still unknown to many. As I have said in previous posts I know a number of people in my area who thought you had to pay to go to a grammar. I think a lot needs to be done to make it more accessible to all.
sky111

Post by sky111 »

That is sad. It's really easy for Birmingham EA to instruct primary schools Head teachers(through school newsletters)that all pupils should apply for free grammar schools emphasising the lower entry score required. Staff at those schools with high % of PP pupils should identify academic PP pupils going into year 5 and, actively encourage development in VR, NVR and maths covered in 11+. At the very least all PP places should be filled within a few years :D
succeed

Post by succeed »

I agree. In my area, I do not know of any eligible parents that are aware of the scheme. It will be interesting to see how many of the PP places are filled.
um

Post by um »

A while ago I had a conversation with the headteacher of a primary school in Birmingham.
She said that one of their pupils was exceptionally able but from a family with no previous experience of grammar or further/higher education.
When this girl's teacher had suggested (this was a few years back before any PP priority) that the father should apply for the 11 Plus examination for his daughter, he simply replied, 'If the dole's good enough for me, then the dole's good enough for her'.
Sad reality for some families :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now