Burnham Grammar v John Hampden

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Handbag

Burnham Grammar v John Hampden

Post by Handbag »

We currently live in Burnham and it would make sense for my child to go to BGS. However, having visited JH I am starting to think otherwise. Does anyone live in Burnham and go to JH? There is a bus that leaves at 0720, returning at 1640. My concern is the after school activities. Would the day be just too long, leaving so early and then returning home in the evening? Is there masses of homework and would it be just one massive stress out! My child is sport mad and I'm sure would want to take part in everything.
Time is running out and I'm still confused. Any opinions on BGS would be appreciated too.
Many thanks.
Guest55

Re: Burnham Grammar v John Hampden

Post by Guest55 »

There's one quite important difference between the two - Burnham is mixed and JHGS is not!

From what I've heard I would way the additional journey time is not worth it; Burnham GS gets similar results. Going on a journey which involves going anywhere near the Handy Cross roundabout twice a day is to be avoided if at all possible.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Hello handbag!!!! :D JH is very popular amongst my friends around here, I wasn't aware Burnham is mixed, is that an important factor? How does the sports compare at both schools? Is one better that the other? Maybe southbucks3 might be able to help. Good luck with your decision :wink: dolly xx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

What in particular did you like at JHGS compared to BGS? I certainly wouldn't make that journey under the circumstances. BGS is a good school - people are a little snobby about it for some reason. It is culturally very mixed (a good thing in my opinion), but you will know that if you live in Burnham.
scary mum
drummer

Post by drummer »

We have been very happy with BGS with 2 very different children. I have visited JH and know and respect some senior staff there but think staff at BGS just as good (if not better). I considered it for one of mine but realised he'd do just as well at BGS. Teaching, results, support, pastoral care etc have all been excellent. And if/when there are problems they are quick to deal with them. Plus your son would be able to more fully participate in school life, and as he gets older, to do so independently.

Personally think you'd be mad to choose JH over BGS if latter is on your doorstep