xmasguest

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lackadaisical Year 13

xmasguest

Post by lackadaisical Year 13 »

I'm hoping someone may be able to provide me with some reassurance that it isn't only my daughter's school that appear so haphazard in Year 13.

My daughter it as a girls' grammar in Bucks with very good results yet they seem to do so little in Year 13. For instance, yesterday she turned up for four lessons - for three of those lessons the teachers didn't show and at the fourth the teacher cancelled as there were too few pupils!

I can understand that it is a very good way to instil independent learning in prearation for university - many of my daughter's friends do their own study - but I still feel that they are being let down somewhat.

Perhaps others have some experience?

Or, perhaps, I'm wrongly equating it with my sixth form days when you had to follow a full timetable in order to pass your 'A' levels.
solimum

yr 13

Post by solimum »

I suspect at this time of year you may find a lot of Yr 13 pupils are absent on university interviews/ open days etc, and it is probably sensible for teachers to cancel the occasional lesson if a large proportion of their class is away. For example, I know there are Oxbridge interviews this week and next, we went to Manchester last week , plus it is also the season for music grade exams, christmas concert rehearsals etc. The Year 13 timetable will have been planned with a certain amount if flexibility (We hope) to take account of this. The teachers not showing at all is unfortunate - perhaps they have all gone down with the flu....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I never cancel a lesson - otherwise they think there's no point in turning up -
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I agree, I'm a primary teacher, but if there is a lesson timetabled you do it, even if there is just 1 pupil!
oldie parent

Post by oldie parent »

my eldest son studying medicine at uni was telling me since starting the 2nd year, the most he's ever had is 4 lectures in a day with mostly free afternoons. Whereas youngest son has 9-5 5 days a week. It varies between sixth forms usually the number of as/a2 levels done e.g. at their high school, certain subjects used to be grouped together with free afternoons for those doing 3A2's.

Post by Guest »

oldie parent wrote:my eldest son studying medicine at uni was telling me since starting the 2nd year, the most he's ever had is 4 lectures in a day with mostly free afternoons. Whereas youngest son has 9-5 5 days a week. It varies between sixth forms usually the number of as/a2 levels done e.g. at their high school, certain subjects used to be grouped together with free afternoons for those doing 3A2's.
4 lectures a day?? My son has 2 a week, but he is doing English Lit, and everyone knows arts students are the milch cows providing the money for the ones doing science and medicine. We have to pay the full £3000+ and no bursary as well.