Stroud High School or Gloucester High school for girls ??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
samla

Stroud High School or Gloucester High school for girls ??

Post by samla »

My daughter in the top 120 for both SHS and HSG and we are trying to make a decision between the two.

Does anyone have any advice or feedback about either of the schools about anything (pastoral care, education, school ethos etc.)?

We need to make a decision within 5 days so please reply ASAP!!

Alice in Underland

Re: Stroud High School or Gloucester High school for girls ?

Post by Alice in Underland »

Both very good schools and there is little to compare between them. Ultimately it depends on which teachers she likes and who her friends are. Things can change a lot between 11 and 16.

Honestly, I would go with the one which is easiest for her to get to. You will spend the next six or seven years driving backwards and forwards to concerts, open evenings, parents nights, dance performances, sports matches etc. Her social life will revolve round school.

what does your daughter think ?
samla

Post by samla »

Do you have any personal experience of either school? How do you think they academically stretch the students?

Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

I have sent you a PM
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Above anything else I'd say if you live closer to one grammar than another, or one which is easier for your daughter to get to, then go for that.

I don't have personal experience of SHS. My daughter is yr 9 at HSFG and couldn't be happier with it. She's found it a nurturing environment, not a hot-house, but they do help students achieve their best. She's had some medical challenges, and the school have gone out of their way to be supportive and make any adjustments required.

I'm sure you'll hear equally positive comments about SHS, so it really does come down to gut feel and ease of transport. Good luck in your choice!
Flash

Post by Flash »

I would also advise choosing the school which is easiest to get to.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Once again, I would say choose the one that is easier to get to. As far as I can work out there is little to choose between them. I have a daughter at SHS (only just started) who is loving it. The school has been fab about her friends major pastoral issues.
imustbecrazy

Post by imustbecrazy »

I would choose school closest to you, I have a DD who is in year 10 at SHS and loves loves loves it! It's very caring, creates very confident girls girls (my dd was very shy when she started), she never complains about being stressed, they want each girl to do their personal best. I see her friends are all very similar in that they want to do well and so put the extra effort in, -with no nagging from us parents. Now dd2 is a different kettle of fish! :roll:
We got a similar feel at HSFG and liked it just as much but was much further to travel.
samla

Post by samla »

Thanks to everybody for their feedback and comments. At least now the agonising decision making is over!!!

I wish all the children good luck in their new schools

Samla
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now