advice on results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mommabigfoot

advice on results

Post by mommabigfoot »

Hi there....I was just wondering if anyone knew what the results range was for Sutton Coldfield grammar.......only on the queen Mary letter it gave you a range so it was easier to gauge how well your child did???......I know she has enough to put on the preference form with a score of 229 but think she is a little worried as to whether this will stand her in good stead if she is lucky enough to be offered a place....All this is new to us as parents and would just welcome others thoughts on whether grammar is the correct route? ?.....thanks
muminbrum

Re: advice on results

Post by muminbrum »

It's not a direct answer but my own experience is that providing the child wasn't heavily tutored for the exam, if they get in they'll be fine. 229 is a good score, you should be proud of her. Is she keen to go? Have you asked her primary school teacher what they think?
mommabigfoot

Post by mommabigfoot »

Thanks for reply......she was only tutored from Sept to July before the test. ....and we were always advised from an early age that she should go for grammar school.....she is very keen to go and we are keen to send her but worry that she will go from being top of the class to maybe not ......just don't want to knock her confidence......I know 229 is good considering the tutoring she had but think she expected higher too....just thought if we knew what range the top marks are we could gauge it better???Don't know if she is scraping through or is that a good average score......such a mine field and such a worry....you just want to make the right decision for them don't you.....???..
nicolajane1971

Post by nicolajane1971 »

I think you are perhaps worrying unnecessarily about her score mommabigfoot. 229 is a great score but is simply a reflection of how she did in a 2 hour window on one day of the year, it is not a true reflection of her academic ability and it would not be wise to compare to others. More importantly if you or she are concerned that she will not be 'top set' at a grammar you might need to have a bit of a think. Grammar schools are full of extremely bright children, as and when they set them it is a realistic possibility that she will not be top set. You possibly need to manage expectations now if you are considering grammars and acknowledge that she is unlikely to be top in everything. Won't stop her having a fabulous education and great results though.
TVRDad

Post by TVRDad »

I've got a very good friend who is a comprehensive school head and as he keeps telling me, intelligence at 11 is malleable and what matters is how children are taught subsequently, but by scoring well on the test your daughter has a chance to go to a very good school. What she makes of that will be up to her. Based on what I've heard of the results of other children in this years tests, I agree with nicolajane that your dd has done very well and should have nothing to be worried about. Its fair to say however you are unlikely to find many people on this forum who think a GS education is a bad idea!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now