Reading Boys or QE Barnet?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
takeiteasy

Reading Boys or QE Barnet?

Post by takeiteasy »

I believe some of the other parents are on the same boat as myself. Confused and trying to take an informed decision between Reading Boys and QE Barnet. Can we have a constructive discussion re pros and cons between these two rivals and the reasons why you chose one over the other.....many thanks!!

Takeiteasy.
indiemom

Re: Reading Boys or QE Barnet?

Post by indiemom »

Very interesting topic you have raised @takeiteasy.

Will wait to see what are the other parents in this forum have to say about this. But may be it is better to put this question in Hertfordshire forum as well as my personal experience is that people are more active in that forum compared to Berkshire forum.
takeiteasy

Post by takeiteasy »

indiemom wrote:Very interesting topic you have raised @takeiteasy.

Will wait to see what are the other parents in this forum have to say about this. But may be it is better to put this question in Hertfordshire forum as well as my personal experience is that people are more active in that forum compared to Berkshire forum.
Thanks and done Indiemom!
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

OP, you may see that QE parents will defend QE and RBS will defend RBS choice and rightly so. Both schools are good and both of them will have their pros and cons. If you ask for those particular points that are important to you/your DS then you may have a more concrete/helpful discussion. Example, sports, music, academics, triple sciences, further maths, homework, discipline, 6th form cull, universities that DCs go to, career choices and so on….

Sorry, not very helpful?
takeiteasy

Post by takeiteasy »

berks_mum wrote:OP, you may see that QE parents will defend QE and RBS will defend RBS choice and rightly so. Both schools are good and both of them will have their pros and cons. If you ask for those particular points that are important to you/your DS then you may have a more concrete/helpful discussion. Example, sports, music, academics, triple sciences, further maths, homework, discipline, 6th form cull, universities that DCs go to, career choices and so on….

Sorry, not very helpful?
Let's do it this way then...

Sports:
QE sports infra is better than RB, but not sure how much the QE boys can utilise them under academic pressure

Music:
QE sidelined it I believe. Not sure about Reading though.

Academics: QE GCSC score are better than RB. A level is also better. But cull should be factored in.

Discipline: I believe QE is very strict. Not sure about RB. Is this very relaxed environment for RB?

Strong subjects: for QE it looks like medicine, economics are strong. Law, history, Maths and engineering follow....
Can you anyone shed some light on RB's performance and strong/popular and weak/not popular subjects in RB context?

Happy if anyone wants to add any other criteria to discuss the pros and cons.

Takeiteasy
TigerMum

Post by TigerMum »

I have no opinion on either school, we only know a handful of boys at RBS and have heard positives from those families.

But can I just ask what travel arrangements your son will take to get to either school? Has he done trial runs during rush hour to make a comparison of the two journeys? How does he feel about the commute to either school?

Do you as parents have a preference for whichever school you would rather journey to for parents' evenings and any other extra curricular meetings?
takeiteasy

Post by takeiteasy »

TigerMum wrote:I have no opinion on either school, we only know a handful of boys at RBS and have heard positives from those families.

But can I just ask what travel arrangements your son will take to get to either school? Has he done trial runs during rush hour to make a comparison of the two journeys? How does he feel about the commute to either school?

Do you as parents have a preference for whichever school you would rather journey to for parents' evenings and any other extra curricular meetings?
Thanks.

We are bit flexible to move closer to the school if needed.... and that was the initial plan. But thank you very much....we are considering your value points.
Reading2015

Post by Reading2015 »

I have heard Maths department is great at RBS but Physics is not so good. I know someone who dropped physics at A2 level for this reason.
takeiteasy

Post by takeiteasy »

Reading2015 wrote:I have heard Maths department is great at RBS but Physics is not so good. I know someone who dropped physics at A2 level for this reason.
Thank you. I saw "none" took Business Studies, computer science and DT in A level from RBS in 2013, where other good schools encourage these subjects as well (though small number of boys take them). But RBS surprised me as none took them. Any thoughts / information?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

takeiteasy wrote:
Reading2015 wrote:I have heard Maths department is great at RBS but Physics is not so good. I know someone who dropped physics at A2 level for this reason.
Thank you. I saw "none" took Business Studies, computer science and DT in A level from RBS in 2013, where other good schools encourage these subjects as well (though small number of boys take them). But RBS surprised me as none took them. Any thoughts / information?
Possibly not a lot taking the first two as they are rather 'non-subjects', not necessary to study subjects of same / similar name at university?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now