Chances for getting offer from Langley grammar school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

luvingdad

Chances for getting offer from Langley grammar school

Post by luvingdad »

Hi,
My son scored 124 in slough 11+ exam. We are planning to apply for Langley grammar school.
what are the chances of getting a place in Langley grammar school please ?

Thanks in advance for sharing your point of view.
Drastic Dad

Re: Chances for getting offer from Langley grammar school

Post by Drastic Dad »

Put Langley as your first choice on CAF and put other schools as 2nd, 3rd, 4th choices etc. If it is meant to be, your child will get a place in Langley. He has done well and you should be so very proud of him. Most kids don't even pass these tests.
BNN

Post by BNN »

Drastic Dad wrote:Put Langley as your first choice on CAF and put other schools as 2nd, 3rd, 4th choices etc.
Totally agree. There is a large number of parents who do not have Langley as their first choice even if their scores would virtually guarantee a place there.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

totally agree with @drastic dad

@luvingdad

you can put Langley as your first choice if you are keen to send your DS there. I am not aware of anyone who is keeping a score of inside catchment score for Slough Consortium otherwise you could have guessed what are the chances.

To be honest no one can say this year about the chances of getting Langley as the pressure might become a bit more on the Slough consortium schools this year after Reading Boys and Kendrick introduced catchment policy effective from June 20th , 2014.So people with high scores from outside Reading catchment will not be considered for RB or Kendrick. Again we should remember that the exam for Slough Consortium and Reading being the same, lot of people ticked the box to share their score with Slough Consortium without having any intention of taking up a place there. So the Slough score is much inflated by these high scorer than that actually it is.

Therefore it's quite difficult to predict this year which way the cutoff will go but going by the historical statistics you have chances of getting a place in Langley.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Completely agree with the posts above. Not everyone(including me) is going to put Langley as first choice even if they are in catchment.
Reading2015

Post by Reading2015 »

Yes agreed, we and many other friends (I know of at least 5) here in Reading ticked the Slough box and got slough scores 127+. Langley has a catchment this year therefore we would not choose it on the CAF form.
luvingdad

Post by luvingdad »

Many thanks all your for responses and making thing more clear to me. I would certainly include Langley in CAF.

Quick question please . DS also in possible category ( 50 % chances of getting a place) of St Olave school. I am planning to put St Olave as first choice and Langley as 2nd preference. If my son will be put on waiting list of St Olave , scenario would be same as putting Langley as 1st preference ?

Please correct me if I have incorrect understanding. Thanks again all for your input so far.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If you put St.Olave's first but don't get a place on allocation day, you accept the place you are offered - by the sound of things this will be Langley - and go on the waiting list for St.Olave's.

However...

Waiting list places, if they do come up at all, may only come up with very short notice, even after term has started. You won't get very long to make your mind up and may only have a few days to get a new uniform and get your DS started at the new school. Are you really in a position to move literally within days, or would your DS have a truly awful journey?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

In Buckinghamshire (don't know about elsewhere), if you are on a waiting list and are offered a place, you lose the previous offer, as it is assumed that you want the waiting list one. You can't have 2 offers at once. So don't stay on a waiting list just out of curiosity. Someone will confirm if this is the same elsewhere.
scary mum
digsval

Post by digsval »

@luvingdad, did you get an offer for Langley Grammar?

I am intersted in knowing the entry score as we put Langley Grammar as first choice as well for our DD who got 121. So am interested in knowing the entry level.

We have been offered a place at Upton so not too worried but considering an appeal as our son already goes to Langley

Digs