Handsworth Grammar School OR Holyhead (Comp) ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
B7NTU

Handsworth Grammar School OR Holyhead (Comp) ?

Post by B7NTU »

Hi, I live 5 mins from both one has a 'Good' score by ofsted the lattar 'Outstanding'.

Dilemma which to pick first?

Went to both open days preferred the enthusiasm of Holyhead, whereas Handsworth felt a bit dull and not to impressed with the teachers.
But feel awkward choosing a comp over a Grammar.

Any suggestions would be really apprciated.
peter5

Re: Handsworth Grammar School OR Holyhead (Comp) ?

Post by peter5 »

Have you compared any factor other than Ofsted report and the enthusiasm at the open days?
B7NTU

Post by B7NTU »

peter5 wrote:Have you compared any factor other than Ofsted report and the enthusiasm at the open days?

No just the open days to go by and spoken to a few parents from both schools, whom prefer there own schools to the other one.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I don't know either school but it seems to me Handsworth Grammars results will only get better as the results in the birmingham consortium exams will dictate the calibre of its entrants on admission.These are only going to go up in the long run.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I also don't know either school, but from a quick look at the DoE tables it looks as though Holyhead has been playing the league tables game which I never like to see. And the Ebac statistics for high attainers are surprisingly low (Ebac has no value in itself but gives an indication of the availability of an academically-oriented curriculum - in this case only 9 pupils in the year followed a path that qualified them for entry).

http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/sch ... o=330&pg=2

Mike
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

For me it's a no brainer - That's because I'm a grammar school snob, primarily because I went to a dreadful comp school.

Some things I think you should consider;
  • One's mixed and one's boys only - what preference do you and your son have?
    Think about the other facilities on offer - sports facilities, after school clubs - which suit your child better?
    Think about the average academic range of children in any one year - all HGS students have sat a test to get in. Personally this was a massive issue for me at school - we had four classes ranging from motivated children, to kids I would hate to think where they have ended up!

I know that both schools are focused on improving results and reputation, so that's a positive for both.

Personally I think your son will also stand a better chance of getting into better universities having gone to HGS - but I'm pretty sure some people will try to disagree with me. In reality, I can't imagine you'll get a truly unbiased answer on this forum. Good luck in whatever you choose.
succeed

Post by succeed »

Jazz-UK wrote:For me it's a no brainer - That's because I'm a grammar school snob, primarily because I went to a dreadful comp school.

Some things I think you should consider;
  • One's mixed and one's boys only - what preference do you and your son have?
    Think about the other facilities on offer - sports facilities, after school clubs - which suit your child better?
    Think about the average academic range of children in any one year - all HGS students have sat a test to get in. Personally this was a massive issue for me at school - we had four classes ranging from motivated children, to kids I would hate to think where they have ended up!

I know that both schools are focused on improving results and reputation, so that's a positive for both.

Personally I think your son will also stand a better chance of getting into better universities having gone to HGS - but I'm pretty sure some people will try to disagree with me. In reality, I can't imagine you'll get a truly unbiased answer on this forum. Good luck in whatever you choose.
Completely agree. HGS undoubtedly wins out here, for sure.
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

I am intrigued about this better university comment which I have seen come up a few times. I am not convinced that someone in say Edinburgh looks at two application forms for say medicine, both straight A*, and gives it to the Grammer school child from Birmingham. I doubt they would even recognise it as a grammar school, especially in parts of the country where they disappeared in the 1960's. There is an argument that the child from a non-selective school would be viewed more favourably. I think you should stick to the here and now.
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Sorry forgot to ask. Why does HGS win?
succeed

Post by succeed »

Tbh, an average grade of B- for high attainers isn't very good, although I don't doubt the school does an 'all round' great job based on attainment on entry. (I realise a few of the high attainers will have performed very badly, which skews the overall average grade somewhat.) Although it maybe in the interests of the 'greater good' to have more of the able children populate the comp in favour of the grammar, my advice on an 'individual basis' would be to go for the grammar as the forecast for attainment ( and probably aspiration) is, on balance, likely to be much better.