WHSB or SHSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
FlightyRachel

WHSB or SHSB

Post by FlightyRachel »

Going to have to figure this one out on my own I think! Lots of views but no one seems to have any insight, and we're off on hols so form submitted!! I'm a bit identifiable so don't think I'll leave my angst on view :lol:
GreenFrame

Re: WHSB or SHSB

Post by GreenFrame »

We're seeing lots of our son's friends choosing SHSB (actually, all of his friends) but we've got a sneaking feeling this is sheep behaviour going on. We've never been sheep so are choosing on the basis of which appears on balance to be the better school. For us, WHSB always nails it on open evenings (all they'd need would be the Sorting Hat and the impression would be complete). Sports wise Southend are attracting young athletes but there is more to life than sport and, anyway, WHSB are pretty strong too. Culturally they are quite different though. Think of SHSB as the funky uncle, and WHSB as the strict older brother. The homework load is higher it seems at WHSB in the first year but settled after a while. For us WHSB wins the day.

At the end of the day, either will be fine. You could toss a coin and find it was double-headed, in effect.
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

It made me smile that you feel that everyone chooses Southend, as my experience is the reverse! :) I only know a couple of children taking the 11+ this time, but when my elder son took it, I knew slightly more, and from this area hardly anyone even visits SHSB let alone puts it on the form. It's all KEGS and WHSB here. :) I don't know if you read my original ramble but part of my concern was how much of a local school Southend is! Isn't it funny how you see it as a rebellious choice to put WHSB first, and I felt the same about SHSB a few years ago!

(I do agree with you about Open Days, btw, but this wasn't true a few years back, Westcliff have really upped their game in this department, really impressive!)
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

GreenFrame wrote: For us, WHSB always nails it on open evenings (all they'd need would be the Sorting Hat and the impression would be complete).
Think of SHSB as the funky uncle, and WHSB as the strict older brother. The homework load is higher it seems at WHSB in the first year but settled after a while.
:lol: :lol: I have 2 sons at WHSB and this is one of the best and funniest descriptions of the school I've ever heard - it's so true!!