Help Please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

star72

Help Please

Post by star72 »

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help..new to the forum and can see there are many experts on here.

My son was unable to take his test at KEGS on 30th Sept due to an asthma attack the day before. I phoned CSSE and informed them and was told that i would need a doctors medical report and he would be allowed to take the test in May 2015 (which is reserved generally for those children who have moved into the area around that time). His name would then be put on a waiting list and we would need to appeal. He may get a place depending on how high his score is..

I am really confused...obviously when i put KEGS on the CAF form as first choice, this will be refused as he has not taken the test...so if i am then allocated a different school do i refuse that one too whilst going through the appeal..

I also read somewhere in the threads about getting a form completed by the current headteacher regarding what my sons's current grades are?

Please help
Nikkibeak

Re: Help Please

Post by Nikkibeak »

I think you would probably have to accept the school you get offered as otherwise if the appeal was turned down you wouldn't have a place anywhere. I think it will probably work in the same way as the usual waiting list where you accept what you're offered and stay on the waiting list until either the appeal is heard or you get offered a place through normal waiting list movement.
KB

Post by KB »

Definitely accept the school you are allocated. This doesn't stop you being put on the waiting list for the schools higher up your preferences ( Southend schools as well as KEGS if you decide to).

The letter from the Head teacher is with regard to the appeal.
When you are refused a place at your chosen school you should get details of the appeal procedures. The school may also post this on their web site.
The letter is really for those whose appeal is based on underperformance in the test due to illness or other disruption. Whereas, hopefully your DS will perform to the best of his ability when he actually takes the test.

My understanding was that late applicants get slotted in on the waiting list at the time according to their test score. So presumably the point of the appeal is to try to get him a place without waiting if his score is such that he would have been allocated a place immediately if he had been 'in the mix' now.

I would clarify this and be clear about the grounds for appeal - do you just have to prove he was ill for the 30th September or do you need further evidence beyond his csse test score that KEGS can meet his requirements in a way his allocated school cannot.

If it is the latter then there are various threads on preparing appeals that will help.

Hope your DS is well again now.
star72

Post by star72 »

Thanks Nikkibeak. Was a little confused but will accept the alternative place as advised.

KB- that is valuable information thank you. And my DS is much better thanks. Tbh I did get to a point where I was going to just leave the grammar schools out altogether. My DS is a bright child especially at Maths, I thought it unfair if I denied him the opportunity to go to a GS. Such stressful times!
star72

Post by star72 »

Hi again

Am I right that my DS will automatically be rejected for the grammar school places (I've named 3 in Essex) as he is yet to take the test (May 2015).
star72

Post by star72 »

Bit concerned that if I place the grammar schools as top 3 preferences, will I be losing out on the 4th pref as it will be so low?
KB

Post by KB »

Yes, he can't be allocated a GS place without a high enough score, which he hasn't got (yet).

It makes no difference where the school is placed on your list. As you won't get a place at any of the GS they will simply get your details and decide if he can be given a place.
If you put the school higher up your list and he gets a place then he won't be considered for any schools lower down your list.
star72

Post by star72 »

Thanks KB. You say they will get my details and then decide. How will they know that he will be taking the test in May?
Sorry to sound so ignorant
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

When we applied online last year the Southend on Sea CAF had a space under each school for 'other relevant information'. If your CAF also has this, I assume that 'unable to take CSSE test at either September sitting due to illness but being allocated test date in May 2015' would come into this category.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

Agree with Toadmum but personally I would phone LEA and check. They don't always seem great at dealing with 'unusual' cases.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now