11+ and SEN / Choice of school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
TLC11

11+ and SEN / Choice of school

Post by TLC11 »

Hi all,
I am looking for some advice regarding my DS who is currently in year 4. I found this forum incredibly helpful when my daughter sat her 11+ with some excellent advice and support.
He is the youngest in his class and suffers with Adhd which he is medicated for. We are also in the process of testing for dyslexia / visual processing disorders. He does not have a statement as the school say because he is not behind academically he won't get one, but is on the highest level of school support. He was incredibly behind until he started his medication last year and has caught up tremendously since then.
Firstly, does anyone know if he will be allowed extra time / a scribe / room of his own to take his 11+?
Secondly, are there any schools particularly good for SEN children? He is very sporty and is very talented in this area. We really need a school that offers a wide range of sports and opportunities.
The schools we would like to look into are 1.Challoners boys 2. The Royal 3. JH. Uppers would be Amersham or Beaconsfield school. Also willing to consider independent at a push (financially) if no suitable option avaliable. Does anyone have any input for the above schools in regards to SEN and sporting opportunities?
Thank you for any guidance offered.
Rob Clark

Re: 11+ and SEN / Choice of school

Post by Rob Clark »

Hi, I don't know much about SEN provision, but my DCs attend(ed) two of those schools you mention and have friends at two of the others, so I can answer the sports queries.

When you say your DS is very talented do you mean at 1 or 2 particular sports or likes doing a bit of everything (I have one of each)? If the former, which sports?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The school will have to apply at the end of Year 5 for special arrangements for the Transfer Test.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/1926258 ... -entry.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The changes have to be part of 'usual classroom practice' so you will need to push for his needs to be addressed all the time.

What support is the school giving? Have they asked for support from professionals in SEN?

Support varies enormously between GS and you will need to ask pertinent questions and talk to the SENCO when you visit. Make sure you go round schools next year when he is in Year 5 so you are fully informed.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I recall that some years ago one of our members was very impressed by the SEN provision at JH.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... co#p212599" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 55#p211155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Her son is now flourishing further up the school. :)

I think her advice would be to make an appointment for a private meeting with the SENCO at two or three schools. You can then assess what they have to say and how encouraging they are.
Etienne
TLC11

Post by TLC11 »

Thank you for your replies.
With regards to sport he can 'turn his hand' to anything and be good at it. Sport is his outlet where he can release his energy in a positive way. He competes in rugby and golf, but also regularly attends cross country (too young to compete just now) judo and football. A school that will facilitate his rugby and cross ountry would be great. Also if the school offered before / after school sporting activities like his current school does.
With regards to SEN he is on school action plus, has had out and in reach support, OT support and I'm considering asking about an Ed psych report too? He has had great input from the school in terms of support / 1 to 1 and small group sessions, intensive small group classes and behaviour / reward charts. I think all this considered I will speak to the school SENCO and get their advice too. We are going to start visiting all schools in the area as named above within the year. He will thrive in the correct environment with the right support but will really struggle in the wrong environment with the wrong support. I really have to get this right for him.
TLC11

Post by TLC11 »

Thank you Ettiene that is very encouraging. I have heard JH was good for sport too? It is also in our current catchment area however we could move house if need be. Just the issue of getting him through his 11+ for JH
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Jh, great for fun sports, something different every lunchtime and after school, sporty son absolutely loves it. Only really competitive locally. Relaxed atmosphere but quiet too, how they swing this I don't know, but it's great. Welfare of students is a priority. Son does tennis, basketball, football and rugby every week plus the sport of the month in pe, he also does art and creative writing at lunch times.
Senco are not something we have used, but he has a slight vision problem and they rang in the Sumner to confirm what is was and that they were available if he needed, which was lovely and reassuring.

Rgs, rugby, some x country, but better off joining wycombe harriers as he gets older, look it up now, as long waiting list, hockey, cricket and he could row as he gets older and more disciplined. Not very relaxed and not tolerant, pushes for exceptional results which suits some but not all the boys in all subjects. Son number one in year nine, loves it now but took a long time settling as he is very very quiet and shy, thankfully successful at sport so ok on that front, however he didn't respond to bring pushed at maths or languages before streaming in year 9, he is in lower achieving sets for those subjects he is flying, hopefully not back up!
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

As an aside, I would say to people to think carefully if a quiet room is right for your child. My ds has adhd and was in a room with two other kids, both of whom also had adhd (one quite severe). One of the boys became extremely distressed and had to be removed. This really upset my ds who just couldn't settle again. He has qualified for his school of choice but not a brilliant ranking so will be touch and go. In retrospect, as he isn't disruptive (just his mind wanders when stressed), he would have been better in a main room. Still, can't turn back time.
TLC11

Post by TLC11 »

Southbucks thank you for your advice. DS would not flourish in an academically pushy school like you describe with RGS. This may really suit some but I think he would struggle with this. A friendly relaxed atmosphere like you describe with JH would be better. He is really well looked after in his current school and I hope this can continue.

DS gets distracted easily and this would throw him off in an exam. For example if someone dropped a pencil or there was a bang outside he would be too busy focusing on that instead of what he was supposed to do. This would be why I would suggest doing it alone or with a few others. It may minimise distractions. I see your point though and it's something I will need to consider carefully.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

He will be academically pushed in any grammar school at any level, it's just whether it is gently encouraged or simply expected, obviously there are lovely teachers in both schools and harsh teachers in both too.

The silent room bit is very very important to get as much help with in the next two years as possible, grammars and uppers continually assess, it's no different from when we were at school, remember the monthly maths tests, chemistry, French...etc. jh has six assessment reports a year, based on testing and work, rgs has three a year. Both boys have some kind of test twice a week at least.
I know it seems like another mountain to climb amongst several you and he face, but focus and concentration on the task no matter what is happening in the room is hugely important. (Soneone please tell that to my dh when we are out in a pub together and there is a telly on in the room :roll: )

Good luck on your journey, try the misbourne and risborough for uppers as well as the maybe chance of great Marlow if you are that side of town.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now