What should we prepare for SGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

babs

What should we prepare for SGS

Post by babs »

Hi,

Any tips on what we should be preparing for the upcoming exam?
What did the boys get last year?
htm123

Re: What should we prepare for SGS

Post by htm123 »

Not the best person to give advise but I can share what we are doing.
We Revise everything learned really ... At the moment, interpreting pie charts with DS, doing additions, solving word problems, division and multiplication & some algebra.
According to my friend (whose DS is now a pupil the school) SGS setting very challenging Maths test papers every year & past English test papers included creative writing & non-fiction tasks.
During the week I am setting short tasks for DS such as writing formal/informal letter, in Weekends- newspaper articles, or 30 minutes essays-i.e descriptive writing if he doesn't have something similar for his Literacy homework of course.
Not sure why but DS's spelling getting worse so doing short sessions of SPaG straight after returning from school.
With only 135 places up for grabs, the boys must be extremely well prepared...no room for errors :(
babs

Post by babs »

htm123 wrote:Not the best person to give advise but I can share what we are doing.
We Revise everything learned really ... At the moment, interpreting pie charts with DS, doing additions, solving word problems, division and multiplication & some algebra.
According to my friend (whose DS is now a pupil the school) SGS setting very challenging Maths test papers every year & past English test papers included creative writing & non-fiction tasks.
During the week I am setting short tasks for DS such as writing formal/informal letter, in Weekends- newspaper articles, or 30 minutes essays-i.e descriptive writing if he doesn't have something similar for his Literacy homework of course.
Not sure why but DS's spelling getting worse so doing short sessions of SPaG straight after returning from school.
With only 135 places up for grabs, the boys must be extremely well prepared...no room for errors :(

Thanks htm123, I am doing similar things but keep running out of ideas for letter writing, we have done complaints and persuasion...what topics do you get DS to write about for the non fiction?
agathachristie

Post by agathachristie »

For maths we found the first past the post multi part questions( sold by forum shop) extremely useful.

English we used ks2 level 5/6 long writing task assessments for prep.
Good luck
htm123

Post by htm123 »

@ babs
At DS's school the G & T group was provided with a list they can use if running out of ideas. Can't find it now but will look for it another time.
Last term they revised:
- newspaper articles (one about a zebra escaping from the Zoo -they were provided with a photo).
- persuasive letters/ application (...for becoming Head Boy/Girl, or for their dream job).
-biography (children's favourite artist/singer or sport person).
They were also advised to go over autobiography too and ensure they don't confuse Fact files with Biography (apparently in his class many children are still making mistakes).
DS's group was also challenged to research WW1 and WW2 and write a story about it.
babs

Post by babs »

htm123 wrote:@ babs
At DS's school the G & T group was provided with a list they can use if running out of ideas. Can't find it now but will look for it another time.
Last term they revised:
- newspaper articles (one about a zebra escaping from the Zoo -they were provided with a photo).
- persuasive letters/ application (...for becoming Head Boy/Girl, or for their dream job).
-biography (children's favourite artist/singer or sport person).
They were also advised to go over autobiography too and ensure they don't confuse Fact files with Biography (apparently in his class many children are still making mistakes).
DS's group was also challenged to research WW1 and WW2 and write a story about it.
Thanks htm123