guidance on appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jennyw

guidance on appeal

Post by Jennyw »

Hi

I am in need of guidance as I have read your information on review panel and appeals and had decided to wait until March. But .....

The Head Master has strongly advised to go to review panel.

We had an 11+ score of 104 but I have spoken with headmaster who has completed the appeal form 2/2 and has written in the head teacher remarks ".....highly recommends", cat overall score 122, anticipated level at end of year 6 are 5a/b's in numeracy and literacy and 6c in reading.

I am now unsure as to what to do, above everything, I know there is only a slim chance of winning the review or appeal but want to do what will give me the best possible chance.

Can you offer any further guidance.
Etienne

Re: guidance on appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)
Jennyw wrote:The Head Master has strongly advised to go to review panel.
Primary heads have been 'programmed' to point parents towards a review, because "that's the system!"
Was he even-handed (i.e. did he spell out the possible consequences for an appeal if you first go through a review)?
Apart from perhaps mentioning that schools could be oversubscribed by the time of an appeal (a point we clearly make ourselves), what were his exact reasons for 'strongly advising' a review?
He's a lot braver than we are! :oops:

I'm afraid there's nothing we can really add to the advice in the Q&As.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We had an 11+ score of 104 but I have spoken with headmaster who has completed the appeal form 2/2 and has written in the head teacher remarks ".....highly recommends", cat overall score 122, anticipated level at end of year 6 are 5a/b's in numeracy and literacy and 6c in reading.
It depends how many of his '2' recommendations qualified.
The CAT score is a bit borderline.
KS2 predictions look perfectly acceptable, but we think a review panel would look closely at the rate of progression from KS1.

For a review, would you have 'exceptional circumstances' to explain an underperformance? (They appear to want these.)
Etienne
Jennyw

Post by Jennyw »

Hi Ettiene

From our discussion he reported that several of his 2/2's passed, sadly we have no extenuating circumstances her attainment levels, graph wise show consistent growth throught the years, no plateaus, always working a level above. Head master felt review would be best as it looked at prejudice, not sure of exact wording as I don't have email in front of me at mo!

As the chances of winning are slim I really want to give it our best shot ! I get the impression that you would still opt for an appeal in March when refused a place on non-qualification ...? ?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Jennyw wrote:I get the impression that you would still opt for an appeal in March when refused a place on non-qualification ...? ?
No - I don't believe anyone can tell you with any certainty what to do for the best, because whatever you opt for will be a bit of a gamble.

I'm just suggesting you weigh everything up. For example -
  • • If a review requires 'exceptional circumstances', might there not be a problem with no exceptional circumstances and a score of 104?
    • If the headteacher is 'strongly recommending' a review, on what basis is he doing so?
    • Will your preferred grammar schools consist entirely of those that are always heavily oversubscribed?
From our discussion he reported that several of his 2/2's passed
That doesn't tell us very much, I'm afraid - not without knowing how many 2:1, 2:2 and 2:3 recommendations there were, and how many of those qualified. [Edited to add: not many heads seem keen to reveal this information!]
Etienne
SMAB

Post by SMAB »

Hi Jennyw....I can give you my experience from last year. DS scored 107, expected to pass 2:1 HT recommendation..expected levels at the end of year 6 given as 5A reading, 5A maths and 5c writing...no extenuating circumstances...I went for review as advised by our HT..he didn't get through, the only comment from the panel was a scrawled one line stating ..no evidence to suggest suitability for grammar school !!! I did not go on to appeal as I was very happy with our alternative school, he is now settling in great, top sets having achieved 2 x5A and a level 6 maths in his sats..His sets are full of level 6 kids ( who I assume we're also not suitable for GS !!! ) However if you do not have a good alternative I would definitely wait for an appeal where you have a much better platform on which to put forward your child's case.( just my opinion ). Good Luck
Jennyw

Post by Jennyw »

Many thanks for your comments I am swaying more to the appeal! but just not sure as the grammar we'd be looking for is always over subscribed. :?
Jennyw

Post by Jennyw »

Hi Ettiene

The only Grammar School we would be currently looking at, due to location, is always over subscribed, which I am guessing would make a difference at appeal due to the prejudice statement, have I got that right......??? i.e. it would prejudice the school to accept another child
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

You need to find out whether any appeals have been successful in the past and if so how many over PAN they have taken. You might even find the school will tell you if you ask how many children are in each current year groups. It does tend to be the case however that if some over-subscription appeals have been allowed in the past then there may be more appeals heard at that school due to more parents thinking it is worth the effort.
Last edited by DC17C on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Jennyw wrote:Head master felt review would be best as it looked at prejudice, not sure of exact wording as I don't have email in front of me at mo!
The review doesn't consider prejudice - but I'm guessing that what this means is that if you go to appeal, and the school is oversubscribed, then your reasons for wanting a place must outweigh any prejudice to the school in having to accept another pupil.

If so, then we ourselves make exactly the same point in the Q&As, and it adds nothing new ........
    • Review or Appeal?

(i) Parents can opt for a review or for an appeal
      - or for both (but an unsuccessful review could have serious implications for any subsequent appeal because the Appeals Code states that, provided the review was ‘fair, consistent and objective’, no other issues can be considered at appeal).

(ii) The main advantage of a review, it seems to us, is that if the outcome were to be successful, parents would get the decision before the first round of allocations.
Might this be putting the cart before the horse, though? (Oversubscription before qualification?!)

The first hurdle to overcome (mixed metaphors here! :)) is the qualification issue. If the headteacher had sound reasons for thinking you stand a better chance of qualifying at a review, now that would have been interesting!

However, DC17C makes a good point above. If the success rate for appeals at this school happens to be close to zero, it could be an argument in favour of a review.

Against that, you need to weigh up how strong a case you think you would have for the 'balancing' stage of an oversubscription appeal (your reasons for wanting a place v. the prejudice to the school).
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne