11+ appeals for Wirral Grammar Boys

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rosie1306

11+ appeals for Wirral Grammar Boys

Post by rosie1306 »

Hi I was wondering if anyone has any advice on appealing for a place at Wirral Grammar Boys?, has anyone been through this process and if so were you successful? I've looked on here at all the valuable advice given for appealing but would like to hear from anyone who has appealed at this particular school please, my son fell short of the pass rate by 1 mark and we would like to appeal.

Thanks
Tyra

Re: 11+ appeals for Wirral Grammar Boys

Post by Tyra »

Hi, so sorry to hear your news! It's a very difficult time.

We went through appeal process for West Kirby Grammar back in May! Our daughter had missed by two marks!! We were referred to IAB but still refused which I believe seems to be standard practice unless there are serious extenuating circumstances. We were very lucky in the fact that we had a very supporting primary school. Our head described the IAB as putting a stake in ground to start appeal process.

With regards to Wirral Boys I know they were oversubscribed last year but have not head about this year.. You need to find out if you fighting oversubscription as well as non qualification! If it's just non qualification you stand a good chance! Are you in catchment area and does he have any older siblings in school?

This site is invaluable with regards to questions about appeals and any other information! You will probably find the LEA not that helpful!! Unfortunately it will be down to you and the primary school to prepare your case! You need to find out if the school have their own appeal panel or go through the authority! There should be information on their website or the information will be in the school pack listing all schools and entrance process.

I do feel for you it's an awful time! And unfortunately you will not know until appeals are heard which is about May time! It's a long haul but if you need any info or a sounding board please message me!!

We were successful with our appeal and so glad we persisted and fought for our daughter! Good luck and do keep me posted :D
rosie1306

Post by rosie1306 »

Hi thanks for your reply, yes we are in the catchment area and he has an older sibling at the school too, i know the intake for next year is 155 places but unsure at the moment as to if these places are filled. My sons primary school also appealed to the IP but this was unsuccessful, the school have said they will help and support us but I'm a little unsure as to what more they can do if they have already appealed on our behalf? What other support can they offer? Hopefully we do not have to appeal for a place for over subscribing as well as non qualification! I just feel so sorry for him as all his friends have passed too, he was continuously achieving 85-90% in his tutoring practice tests and I think nerves just got the better of him on the day :( He is also one of the oldest children in his year (October) therefore he had to obtain full marks too!! When I asked the school about his scores from the Mock 11+ exams they took earlier, I was told that these are not marked and just placed in an envelope after the test and sent back to the LEA??? Do you know if this is the case as I would be keen to know his scores from this too, Congratulations to you and your child for successfully gaining a place, I am certainly not looking forward to the panel!! :roll:
Tyra

Post by Tyra »

Oh god I do feel for you!!! Our situation was exactly the same! Daughter was expected to fly it. She was doing so well in practice tests at school and at home. We think exactly the same that it was just nerves on the day! I don't know about your son but our primary school had to go to the school to sit exam in main hall so was a strange and very formal environment and we think nerves got the better of her on the day.

Right well, I think you have a pretty strong case! Only missed by one mark and he has an older sibling in school plus you are in catchment area. Have you seen a copy of the IAB letter that your primary school sent to the panel? As I mentioned before the IAB do not put many through there has to be extenuating circumstances and if nothing was noted on day of exam or put in a formal letter before a certain date then I don't think they pay much attention to what the school says. In that letter or should I say brief form the school will have reported his latest SATs levels his reading and spelling age (possibly but not always) an his most recent NFER scores. Have the school informed you of his SATs levels. Appeal panels will probably want to see that he is working at Level 5 or above if possible also the percentile he was working at in mock tests at school.

There is no reason why your primary school should not provide you a copy of this form. The practice tests are not marked they are correct in that in fact I believe they are destroyed. You will receive all the information you require on allocation day 1st March with regards to appeal. Your appeal letter will need to be submitted by the 31st March in which you will need as much educational information as possible for instance his SATs levels at that time his reading and spelling age. Also in February they will do another NFER test, I presume, I know our primary school do this test but contact head with regard to this matter as it is important.

The most important thing is that your primary head will also back up all the information you have supplied to the board in a letter from the school echoing everything you have said. If you can get the school to improve his SATs levels by sitting some extra papers then that is even better!! you need to show he is making even more progress and working harder to prove he deserves his place there and has continued to work even harder after the disappointment of not passing the original exam.

God there is so much to remember but I will help you as much as I can! It was a god awful time and we felt like we lived in a trance for the next seven months it's a long hard slog but you will get there! Did you find out if they have their own appeal panel or is it authority? If you would like to speak to me then pm me your number sometimes it's easier to talk than write it all down :)
rosie1306

Post by rosie1306 »

Thanks again, I spoke to Wirral Grammar today and they told me that it is an Independant panel who assess our appeal and its in Wallasey Town Hall so the school have nothing to do with it, I will contact his Primary school again to mention giving him further tests etc so he can improve although they did mention they would do this in the new year, is this the NFERS you mentioned (sorry I'm not sure what these are)? Just the thought of what's to come is overwhelming but nothing ventured, nothing gained! Thanks again for your advice xx
Tyra

Post by Tyra »

Hi, yes they will sit another NFER test around February time. It is, as far as I am aware, a verbal reasoning paper although it is marked by school. Not sure on state primary schools, our daughter was at an independent so they could sit it when they felt the time was right. He would have done the original NFER in February of last year. They are normally looking for scores of 117 and over perhaps you remember them telling you scores at your parents evening.

You will receive all your info with regard to appeals process on allocation day you cannot appeal before all places have been issued. You will have probably seen on the letter from the authority that you CANNOT put down as first choice your grammar school! You must put down the first choice of comprehensive otherwise you may find that they give you your third choice!! Be wary of this!! I know it can be different in other areas.

You must obtain a copy of the IAB letter from your head they should have kept a copy of this! That will show his recent SATs levels reading and spelling age and any additional information the school put down as to the reason he missed by one point!!

Your appeal letter will need to be submitted by the 31st March! Hearings are normally May time. You will need to show hopefully that he has improved his SATs levels and also his reading and spelling age and what his recent NFER level is and what percentile he was working at at school at the time of the test. If you can get the school to give him regular SATs papers then this will help. You can take these with you on the day to submit as evidence as long as they are clearly marked by the teacher and show what level he has obtained.

Most important though is that you have a letter from the head echoing everything that you have said!! The letter must not be vague you want them to be strongly recommending that he is offered a place and listing everything that you have said in yours. They want academic evidence all the way and unfortunately what we say is not grounds enough they want the school back up!! You can mention his qualities as in sports and what type of person he is and his outside interests but don't go overboard on waffle!! It's so easy to get caught up in it!! Stick to the facts and academia!!!

Like I say if you want to have a chat to me before you do letter just let me know!! They are certain words they do not like to see like "deserve" but can go through that nearer time. Have a look on this website with regard to appeal letters questions etc!! It's quite helpful but I am not going to lie to you! It goes out the window when you are in that room fighting for your child!!! It becomes lioness mode!! :evil:

Good luck keep me posted like I say you need a sounding board let me know ***
rosie1306

Post by rosie1306 »

thanks xx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now