first aid in English

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Happyface

first aid in English

Post by Happyface »

People who have used this book or anyone else who could help pls:-
which sections/chapters of this book would you recommend doing? This is a great book, but (with all the other books to do) not enough time now to learn it ALL, so I'd be grateful if someone could reply!
we are aiming for both GL & CEM.
many thanks

PS: I tried searching the forum for this info, but didnt really get the answer.. hence asking....
Happyface

Re: first aid in English

Post by Happyface »

Anyone?? please!
thanks in advance:)
KS10

Post by KS10 »

We used the book for general consolidation over a long period of time, but this was a few years ago. It's not something you can rush through. I'm not really familiar with CEM so don't feel qualified to give advice. Sorry.
Hera

Post by Hera »

We used it as a reference book and for certain things, but it was something we dipped into rather than worked though. We mainly used it to clarify grammatical terminology and for vocabulary; so things like the names of male, female and baby animals, where things lived, well known sayings etc. We didn't do CEM either.
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

Hi

this is highly recommended in our local primary. Friends who had done the exam last year (CEM) also recommended it. However, we spent mainly summer holidays for home prep and clearly, this was not a book for such preparation.

Each page is intense and needs time to absorb.

If you start ahead of time, you can pace yourself. The comprehension exercises and tests at the end of the book are helpful, especially for inde exams (bearing in mind, we are yet to do the inde exams).

For CEM, the advise given to us was to do it atleast until the synonyms and antonyms section.

HTH
clearsky

Post by clearsky »

We found it difficult to use, as we discovered it close to exam time, however I can see it would be great for anyone starting early in year 4 to build vocabulary and to improve general knowledge of English language. Close to exam you really need to use more complex vocabulary list, such as the list on this forum.
Happyface

Post by Happyface »

thanks for your replies everyone:)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now