Bromley to Judd - Travel dilemma - Help pls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
xiygx

Bromley to Judd - Travel dilemma - Help pls

Post by xiygx »

We are thinking of sending our DS to Judd (I don't think so he can get in DGS) we live in Chislehurst and worried.

Is it possible to commute from Chislehurst? What is school homework like? Does it have many clubs after school?

Any insight from Judd's parent would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
knobblywobbly

Re: Bromley to Judd - Travel dilemma - Help pls

Post by knobblywobbly »

Hi

We live in Orpington and my son started at Judd in September so he catches a bus to the station, takes the train and walks to school, just under an hour door to door. There are boys who have longer commutes and go in to London and out again. The trains have been very reliable so far and lots of boys get on at Orpington. Your son would need to change at Orpington as only the fast trains serve Tonbridge. It only took a couple of days for my son to get used to the journey and he's made friends - Judd tend to put the Orpington boys in the same class and houses.

I'd recommend doing the journey this week if you can to get a better idea of what's involved. It's a lovely school and the beauty of being an independent traveller is that he can do after school clubs and just get a later train home whereas if you are reliant on a coach to get you home, someone has to pick the boys up which is difficult if parents are working. Judd homework is ok as long as you prioritise it and generally nothing needs to be handed in the next day.

Hope this is of use to you.
xiygx

Post by xiygx »

Many thanks
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

xiygx wrote:We are thinking of sending our DS to Judd (I don't think so he can get in DGS) we live in Chislehurst and worried.

Is it possible to commute from Chislehurst? What is school homework like? Does it have many clubs after school?

Any insight from Judd's parent would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
St Olaves would make more sense. Did he take the test ?

It's a long commute. Obviously there I'd a direct train if you're on the Tonbrudge line.

What school does he want? He is the one travelling there.
VanillaLatte

Post by VanillaLatte »

We also consider Judd and Skinners for 2016 intake and will be moving to Chislehurst. We have been guided by a girl from Chis & Sid grammar on the open evening who is from Orpington and said it takes her 1 hr door to door and she is happy. I am guessing it is easier if you are younger.
xiygx

Post by xiygx »

UncleBob wrote:St Olaves would make more sense. Did he take the test ?

It's a long commute. Obviously there I'd a direct train if you're on the Tonbrudge line.

What school does he want? He is the one travelling there.

Yes, he did but was not successful. St. Olaves would have been an ideal choice for him given proximity to the bus to school. If he gets in Judd, he has to take a train, which would take approx. 40 minutes on top of 20 minutes journey to the train station.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now