Kingston Grammar School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Schmedz

Kingston Grammar School

Post by Schmedz »

My daughter is very keen on this school and also wants to apply for an art scholarship.

Anyone have children who sat the exams for some tips to help her prepare over the next few months? What are the interviews everyone talks about? Also, anyone whose daughter goes there - what is it really like for girls?

Thanks to anyone who could help.
irisha

Re: Kingston Grammar School

Post by irisha »

Not sure if that's particularly helpful, but my DD found KGS exams to be very straightforward. Both maths and English. She said there were no tricky problems in the maths exam and she wasn't pressed for time. In English, it was also pretty straightforward with 2 options for the essay - one related to the text. That's what she chose.

She did have a bit of a wobble on VR - it is a typical GL format and we were practicing based on methods from Patricia (from this site), IPS Technique book etc and were used to writing on exam paper, doing loops, etc. That was not allowed in KGS exam so she had to re-adjust on the spot and in the end ran out of time and had to guess the last 2-3 questions.

That said, she was still invited to sit the scholarship exam and got the scholarship. The scholarship exam was more difficult and KGS is unusual in having a separate exam among London day schools. This must explain why the main exam is straightforward as they can then throw more difficult stuff into a separate paper.

Can't help with the interview as DD had a scholarship interview rather than standard, but I would imagine it's pretty similar. Apparently, they do a general chat and then focus on a weakness. In DD's case, she didn't solve one of the maths problems, but we solved it back at home and that's exactly what they asked her in her maths interview. In English, it was types of literature she likes, why, favourite character and I think she also had to analyze a poem (but I might be confusing with another school). So basically if your DD comes out of the exam and can remember what she didn't solve/not sure - go over it with her. Likely they will focus on this at the interview.
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Thanks for that detailed info. Guess she better start doing some preparation. She finds NVR so much easier than VR, it is a shame both are not tested...

What is GL format for VR? She has not really practised anything other than a few things on my iPad.
mjuly

Post by mjuly »

Son passed KGS 10+.The exam does cover all the bases and reveals weaknesses of the candidate.This is what they are looking for.Preparation is difficult and varies from child to child but do past papers.As for interview they are 2 types:general(hobbies) or subject specific and if the latter hone in on the questions your child found difficult.No one fails the general interview.KGS is getting more popular 100 places from 800 and I guess they are aiming for 50/50 gender split.
Django

Post by Django »

As others have said the exams are fairly straightforward, in the 10+ not many seemed to finish the Maths (not a prob, my dd got in 2 years ago and the school was our first choice)

She is now in the first year, she is flourishing and she loves the school. It really does have so much on offer and they are really gentle on them at first. She is by no means overwhelmed by homework. They are already doing an independent research project using the library and online resources - the school really does encourage independent learning which is one of the things that attracted us.

They do seem to go for all rounders. DDs friends all high achievers from their primaries, all seem to be interested in a wide variety of things and good at Maths and English. It is very sporty - dd had 3 hockey matches last week for eg. If you aren't sporty or don't like hockey or netball, they try you out at other sports.

Large state intake, very very friendly parents and best of all everyone seems normal and down to earth. We are delighted with it.

Good luck to you daughter!
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Thanks. She is practising her instruments and artwork hard, but not the academic stuff!!
Still bemused as to what GL VR is, but I guess if it is a test that is supposed to test innate 'intelligence' there is no point trying to prepare...
ontarget

Post by ontarget »

GL VR is GL Assessment verbal reasoning. You can buy sample papers on here or on Amazon etc
ontarget

Post by ontarget »

Definitely necessary to prepare for VR, I would say, in order to build up speed and become familiar with all of the different question types.
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Thanks on target for clarifying this GL thing.

Really not keen on having her spend the Christmas holidays studying VR...sounds a bit boring (for her and I!). We have got loads of days out at art galleries, concerts and shows planned as well as sleepovers with her extended family who she rarely gets to see during the term which I think will be a much more worthwhile way of spending her precious holiday time.

If KGS is the right school for her she will get in. We are lucky that she already has a confirmed place at another indie which we love, so is only sitting the exam for a bit of choice ...
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Wise choice. No point in pushing hard for entrance and then getting upset because the homework load is more than you had expected etc. Good luck in your choices.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now