11+ appeal at 109 Slough consortium ,no school support

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Devastated mum

11+ appeal at 109 Slough consortium ,no school support

Post by Devastated mum »

Hi
I am a new member,have been a regular visitor of this forum,have found it immensly useful in the past.

First of all I would like to apologise for a very long post and for my English which is not very good,as it is not my first language.

Could anyone please advise what course of action to take?
My daughter scored 109 in the slough consortium exam and
113/109 in bucks 11+

I shall tell you the truth and welcome any suggestions /advise/criticism:

I went to see the head teacher after receiving Bucks results,which reduced me to tears as the deputy head indicated my daughter was not even reccommended by the school to take the tests,and that her performance has been poor since she joined school 2 years ago, and the best place for her is a non -grammer school .I was not given any of the appeal forms either and discouraged from making an appeal .

I ,however strongly believe my daughter is a very bright child ,well suited to a Grammer school.Her KS1 results were very good ,I did not know at the time what the numbers stood for , as I am from a abroad and had a very different schooling and education structure,but can recall her last school awarded her a certificate for outstanding achievement in kS1 ,just before she started the current school,approx.2 yrs ago.

She has just been moved to the top set in Science and working towards level 5 in English and Maths

Extenuating circumstances:

1) 2 years ago, just before she joined the school,we extended our house builders did a runner with large sums of money while leaving our house on jacks ,unhabitable,without walls and windows. We were stuck in a rented accomodation which we could not afford,my daughter being the eldest,and very sensitive by nature felt the strain on the family.We got ourselves sorted within a year of working very hard and long hrs ,doing extra jobs and work on the house ourselves,day and night.

2) 1 year ago paternal Grandma and uncles and aunts who she did not know since the day she was born ,suddenly appeared in our lives for a year or so ,my daughter loved them to bits only to find out they vanished again directly blaming my daughter for saying something she did not ,the reason they gave for turning their backs on us.My dughter was devastated by this experience.I had to convince her repeatedly it was not her fault

3) 2 months ago, the company my husband stopped getting paid by his company ,worked for 6 months without pay,company still owe him 6 months pay ,by that time relationship and financial strain was evident,till we sorted us both out with new jobs ,we got the keys for new buisness a few days before my daughters 11+ exams.

I do not know how much weight if any, these circumstances carry,I am quite sure incidents like above are quite common ,but only the ones who are actually going through all of this know ,how they managed to keep it all together in these circumstances,kids are much more sensitive and fragile than adults ,their performance can be affected.

We are much more settled now and her school work is showing immediate improvement.Proving she is very bright child who astonished school be achieving the scores she did the deputy head admitted himself.
chad

Post by chad »

I do feel for you and you are right - you and your family have been through a lot over the last couple of years. The fact that your family was under a great deal of stress just before the exam would (most probably) be taken into consideration.
If the deputy head would be willing to put details of your childs recent improvement in writing with predicted KS2 levels of 555 or 554 and you are convinced that she would do well in a grammar school then yes you should go to appeal .
Were all the scores (each exam) around that mark or was there one that brought the other two down?

Have a look on the Appeals Q&A's
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

It is very comprehensive. Please post back if you have any other questions...or PM me if you want.
Sanjay

PLEASE APPEAL!

Post by Sanjay »

Hi there,

I read your post with real heartache... I'm appealing for my daughter who also scored 110. I almost didn't - I was absolutely disheartened but end of the day ... if you don't you'll regret it for years to come! You have nothing to lose... please appeal!

Sounds like you are winning some support from your school now - I think this is really important! Get something from the school to say she has improved vastly. Try to gather some other documented evidence regarding the other circumstances.

A friend of mine who has been an absolute pillar for me through this, appealed for her son who got a place on 110. It's the extenuating circumstances you need to push across.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Sanj