2 x 141 is that rare

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2 x 141 is that rare

Post by Guest »

Today's Bucks free Press tells of a "young academic" who has got 141 in both her 11+ papers. Well done to her, but surely it's not THAT newsworthy? Each year there are plenty who get 141 and presumably there are several who got 141 in both?
SunlampVexesEel

Re: 2 x 141 is that rare

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Anonymous wrote:Today's Bucks free Press tells of a "young academic" who has got 141 in both her 11+ papers. Well done to her, but surely it's not THAT newsworthy? Each year there are plenty who get 141 and presumably there are several who got 141 in both?
The following is based on very rusty math... I'm probably wrong for some of this...

141 is a good score! i.e. 2.7 std deviations higher than average.

At the tail ends of the distribution there will be far few people but as you move into the body of the distribution there will be lots.

So relatively there will be alot of 140s and signficantly fewer 141s.
141 on both must mean she is well up in the top end of the distribution.

By my calculations that puts her in the best 0.3% of the population.

With 7000 candidates there could be 20 ish people getting that mark.

The $1M question of course is... is she super smart or super good/tutored(?) at getting high scores at 11+ tests?!

All I can say is "Well done!"

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

'academic' has got nothing to do with it! It does not even mean she got them all correct -

I would be more impressed with a pupil who gets full marks in a KS2 test paper!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

It is a strange statement in the BFP, it is not a rarirty to get 2 x 141...

Patricia

Post by Guest »

i would go with Patricia. my son scored 141 in both (OOC)and we both didn't make a big dael out of it, thinking there would be many more who has scored same as him. we were very happy with this result ofcourse.
nisahnt
KenR

Post by KenR »

Don't forget that the average in Bucks is about 111 not 100, hence the reason why significantly more children get 141.

[/i]

Post by Guest »

4 children got 141 in both papers in our Bucks primary school so I guess quite a few bright children managed it across the county.
guest68

Post by guest68 »

It quite funny reading this as my son is in Year 7 at Grammar School after going to appeal last Jan which was successful (119). He is doing extremely well at school and has commented that there are boys in his class that got 141 in their 11+ but are actually struggling with the work at school......interesting.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Guest68, may I ask how 'tutored' your child was? If he didn't do a great deal of tutoring, then his score was not on an even playing field of a child that scored highly being heavily tutored!

Of course, I accept some children will score highly naturally. :wink:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have often commented that VR score is no predictor of how well your child will do at GS .... that's why targets are based on KS2 levels!