Pupil premium

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Nard

Pupil premium

Post by Nard »

Was just wandering what affect the pupil premium will have on results this year. They are not out until march but what do others think about this.

Also the schools that are not using pupil premium do you think it will affect cut off scores for those schools as well.
rabbie burns

Re: Pupil premium

Post by rabbie burns »

If (and its a big if) PP reduces the number of places available to other children the result will in theory be an increase (albeit small) in the cut off score. This can have a knock on effect on the others not introducing PP. The important thing to remember is no one really knows, its just an extra variable. Potentially more significant is the large increase in the numbers sitting. However, everyone has their own theory about this!!
Amarstone

Post by Amarstone »

I don't think it will be very different. Pupil Premium students as a whole, do not make the progress they are supposed to. Many are significantly behind their (non pupil-premium) peers. This is why teachers now have to keep a close eye on these students and use intervention methods to support them. It is also why there is extra funding available for them. Therefore, I doubt the full quota of PP places will be taken, even with the lower cut off score. There are some anomalies: I know of a girl who is of PP status because her mother is a single parent and a TA on a low wage. However, her mother has two degrees her daughter is very bright; her mother has done all she can to enable her to grow academically. She might benefit from the lower entry score, but will probably gain a score above the " official" cut off anyway.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Amarstone wrote:I don't think it will be very different. Pupil Premium students as a whole, do not make the progress they are supposed to. Many are significantly behind their (non pupil-premium) peers. This is why teachers now have to keep a close eye on these students and use intervention methods to support them. It is also why there is extra funding available for them. Therefore, I doubt the full quota of PP places will be taken, even with the lower cut off score. There are some anomalies: I know of a girl who is of PP status because her mother is a single parent and a TA on a low wage. However, her mother has two degrees her daughter is very bright; her mother has done all she can to enable her to grow academically. She might benefit from the lower entry score, but will probably gain a score above the " official" cut off anyway.
One PP child I know scored 245+ so although he will be taking a PP place, his score would have been sufficient for a non PP place anyway.
mimossa

Post by mimossa »

My son a PP child scored in the 230's in the KE exam, and I understand that it's not a safe score for Camphill boys even on PP . I spoke to the foundation office and i was told they have had children scoring very high on PP.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

mimossa wrote:My son a PP child scored in the 230's in the KE exam, and I understand that it's not a safe score for Camphill boys even on PP . I spoke to the foundation office and i was told they have had children scoring very high on PP.
Well done to him :D .

It's all very interesting and as rabbie mentioned, the biggest factor on cut offs for this cohort may indeed be the increased numbers rather than the PP in itself.
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Camp hill qualifying score is 215 so on 230 you should stand a very good chance. If there are lots of high PP scores then logic dictates there will be even more medium scores meaning more of the places will be taken than some people have assumed. It seems that this year will be even more unpredictable than previous years!!
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Five ways have their qualifying score at 200 so I see no reason why most or all of their PP places should not be filled by children scoring between 200 and last year's final cut off of 220. That's potentially 36 places gone before other children join the queue. I think PP children will have done better than some have predicted. Still only time will tell.
mimossa

Post by mimossa »

Thanks Moseleymum :)

I would imagine all PP places will be taken up by PP children.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Five ways have their qualifying score at 200 so I see no reason why most or all of their PP places should not be filled by children scoring between 200 and last year's final cut off of 220. That's potentially 36 places gone before other children join the queue. I think PP children will have done better than some have predicted. Still only time will tell.
It doesn't work that way - 20% PP places are allocated top down. The could be many PP candidates with very high scores which will be allocated first.

http://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk/ ... HRES-2.jpg

http://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk/ ... licy-faqs/
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now