Can a GS make DC with Asperger's change schools

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
frangipani

Can a GS make DC with Asperger's change schools

Post by frangipani »

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice, as I'm fairly new to SEN and don't know much about it.

My DD has (this week) been diagnosed with Asperger's, due to having some specific difficulties at school. The assessment team said she doesn't need to change schools, and her school can get extra funding to provide extra support. They also mentioned an individual plan which I assume to be a EHC, but don't know for sure until the report arrives.
The GS she attends have no children on statements and very few with SEN, which worries me. I don't understand why this school has no children on statements. Are they made to change schools or perhaps not let in in the first place?

This is my concern, I have agreed to the diagnosis assuming it will get my daughter the help she needs, but now a few days later, I'm worrying that the school might use it to try to push her out, so they don't have to deal with it anymore. Is this possible? Is it even legal? Or am I worrying about it too much?

Thanks in advance
FP
Guest55

Re: Can a GS make DC with Asperger's change schools

Post by Guest55 »

They can't exclude her because of this so please don't worry.

GS often have lots of students getting SEN support but few statements (as was) because its hard to get a statement for an able child unless they have physical disabilities.

Make an appointment with the SENCo to discuss how they will support.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Why do you think that she would need a statement? Perhaps her needs can be managed without one?
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

Thanks Guest55 :)

I don't think she needs a statement, nor do I think she needs to change schools, and the school should be able to manage her needs. It's mainly social difficulties, organisation, messy work and difficulties with languages. The assessment team mentioned some kind of plan for her but I can't remember what they called it (not helpful really), it's all a bit fuzzy, but they did say the school will get funding, so I assumed the plan is an EHC.

I was worried that her school (being a grammar) might not want to deal with it and just Palm her off somewhere else, which my daughter and myself do not want.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No, I've been a SENCO and I'm sure the school will be fine, especially of there's additional funding.

Usually there are few students with SEN in a GS but that makes it easier to support them.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Please don't worry. It is not possible to "get rid" of children simply because they have a special educational need or disability. This would be disability discrimination. If your school is concerned about supporting your DD, the professionals involved should be able to reassure them and help them to put in and implement the appropriate support. Asperger's is not really all that unusual in Grammar schools, but I suspect that a lot of young people with it remain under the radar because they manage to cope in that environment.

The vast majority of children are supported within school without the need for an EHC Plan. It is only those with the most severe and complex needs who generally end up with one. However, any child with needs who is receiving support in school should have some sort of plan in place, which might be called all sorts of things nowadays but used to be called an Individual Education Plan (IEP), and which should be regularly reviewed and amended as necessary, with your involvement as parents.

Have a look at IPSEA.org.uk
There is a wealth of information on there about how the SEN system works.
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

Thank you Alex and G55

Your advice has been very helpful and reassuring :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now