Sixth Form Open Afternoons

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Sixth Form Open Afternoons

Post by Daogroupie »

So what are schools saying about their policy towards the AS? HBS clearly states that that students need to pick four subjects and continue with them for two years and NOT drop one after the first year. So they are abandoning the AS and returning to the two year A Level model that I did when I was in Sixth form. Clearly if the majority of the top schools do this, then those who do AS's and then continue with three A2s will be at a disadvantage when it comes to applying for the Russell Group.

Has anyone been briefed on the policies of any of the other schools? I understand that St Albans and Habs girls are going the same way. DG
Guest55

Re: Sixth Form Open Afternoons

Post by Guest55 »

Not all the syllabuses change in 2015 (2017 exams) so I would have thought the policy should not be so rigid.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think there is a lot of misinformation flying around. I have been told that X grammar school is "continuing with ASs" and Y grammar school is moving to just A2s. From what G55 has said, this clearly isn't the whole story. The poor kids having everything changed (again).
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Remember teachers are having to write new schemes of work for new NC, new GCSEs and now new A level courses ... again :roll:

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce15/ ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The timeline is quite useful:

http://www.edexcel.com/Aboutus/press-ro ... meline.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The HBS deputy Head announced it at the Sixth Form Open afternoon on Tuesday so it is not a rumour. St Albans Girls have sent email to their parents so that is not a rumour either. They have to announce their policy now for students applying now for their Sixth forms. Westminster, City, St Albans, NCLS and others have already closed their Sixth form applications so they had to have confirmed their policy to their applicants. I am sure there are others who have also announced. DG`
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

DG - surely it should be related to the A levels the student is studying? AS Maths is still available as are other subjects ...
KB

Post by KB »

Suspect to begin with at least the Universities will not put anyone at a disadvantage if they are doing the norm for their school.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I suspect they will offer on three subjects when the time comes.

I think it is particularly difficult for the first cohort as they will have a mixture of old and new style A levels. New courses are only examined at the end of Year 13 ...
moved

Post by moved »

Cambridge made a fairly strong request for AS as they find them a good prediction of degree success with the exception of maths (STEP a much better indicator).
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Have Cambridge recorded their current position on the situation anywhere? St Albans Girls has a new Head from St Pauls School for Girls where 54% of the girls go to Oxbridge yet they have already informed parents that this year will be the last year for the AS. It seems the private schools are moving ahead on this. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now