Beauty for teens?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rosy Pippin

Beauty for teens?

Post by Rosy Pippin »

Hi - my DD (10) is developing typical teenage skin. I'd like to take her to a beauty salon/give her a Christmas voucher for a facial as a treat and to maybe have a lesson on skin care. I had a quick look online but it is all very confusing (to me at least) with lots of scary sounding treatments (yuk). I had this vision of someone qualified who can explain skin care, recommend products, teach her to do a facial etc ideally in a salon where DD can feel relaxed but it is all either botox and waxing OR princess pamper parties which looks more about make up and sparkly things. Any ideas about what search terms should I be using please?
It takes a village to raise a child
Lynniew100

Re: Beauty for teens?

Post by Lynniew100 »

Hi rosy,

As you know I don't have experience with teenage skin problems yet but I had suffered terribly from acne when I was younger so maybe i can help.

I use green people skin care which is free from parabens, and most artificial stuff. Best of all, very affordable.

Also neals yard does facials, there's one in St. Albans city centre, maybe they will do facial for young teenage skin?

Hope you find what you are looking for.
X
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Hi Rosy,
At the end of year 6 my DD went to a friend's skin care pamper party at a small clinic attached to a local pharmacy. I was really not sure about her going for similar reasons to yours re sparkly makeup, Botox etc, but I checked it out before saying yes and was pleasantly surprised to find it was actually all about looking after their skin properly. The clinic used Avene products and she came home with a little goody bag of moisturisers etc. She hasn't actually used any of them mind you but it did make her think about it. She and her brother now (occasionally, when reminded) use Boots own-brand facial washes and then Savlon on any spots that appear.

There is another thread somewhere on products for teenage spots but I can't remember the title.

Do PM me if you want more details of the Avene clinic. We are near Kingston so usefulness depends on how far away you are from the area of course.
Lynniew100

Post by Lynniew100 »

http://www.spa-london.org/elemis-beauty ... reatments/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ayannaspa.co.uk/treatments/facials/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Freederm range is pretty good and currently DD is using superdrugs 2in1 face wash/ face mask. Also seems to help.
Sudocrem plastered over spots at night calms down the big red zits.
Rosy Pippin

Post by Rosy Pippin »

I am not alone! Thank you - great suggestions. I will get searching... (BTW we are in Hertfordshire so Kingston might be a bit far for us but I can at least look for something similar!)
KB

Post by KB »

Double check with anyone actually doing a facial that it isn't going to harm delicate skin and make the imbalance worse.
The party at the pharmacy clinic sounds great.
We spoke to a girl in local Boots store a while ago when DD having particular problems and she was excellent so it might be a question of trying different people.
Anither idea- as a distraction from skin problems- there was a young girl in the hairdresser a few weeks ago and they were showing her how to do a few different styles, use product and straighteners etc. Again, you need the right place I guess. Ours is a little local salon.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

When I was a tween my friends mum was an Avon lady, that was brilliant we got free little samples and occasionally demonstration parties with manicures, make up, moisturizing and hair doing etc sessions using the children's/teen ranges. This only happened a few times, but I still remember the fun of it. I also remember her mum very wisely banning us from the sofa (all that make up and moisturiser) and her dad's mirrored picture of Elvis in the loo. :lol: I bought my first ever (bright blue) eye shadow with my pocket money at one of those parties.
I still buy Avon stuff, mostly bubbles, shampoos and soaps now, great value and a lovely chat with the local rep when it's delivered, but bless her she is nearly 70, so not really the trendy glamour queen my friends mum was....in her fluffy, high heeled, mule slippers!

I have no idea if Avon still do parties, worth a look?
Last edited by southbucks3 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
KB

Post by KB »

A manicure would be another fun idea - can just have a clear/ pale varnish but also tips about nail care.

Skin care is obviously really important but with the best will the teenage years can be trying and good grooming of non problem areas can be a confidence booster as well as a distraction from problem areas.

No expert but experience is that many moisturisers can block pores. Sometimes basic cleanliness and minimum interference can be best.
Second the vote for sudocrem and also teatree ointment.

Hope your DD enjoys her treat :)
Rosy Pippin

Post by Rosy Pippin »

Thanks everyone! These ideas are much less scary. And I love the hairdresser idea too. (Better stop cutting her hair myself though...)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now