Wait till March is killing me!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
onebigdilemma

Wait till March is killing me!!

Post by onebigdilemma »

March seems so far off. Wish I knew now what schools my boys were going too, this wait is going to seem like a life time.
As my son who may go to grammar is only 5 points above last years bottom score I may have to wait even longer if he goes on a waiting list!!

How is everyone else managing to put it to the back of their minds?
anxiously hopeful

Re: Wait till March is killing me!!

Post by anxiously hopeful »

I've been trying not to think about it, unsuccessfully. Dwelling on it like picking a spot, if you excuse the simile. We are in a similar position. Wish there was any info available about how many children sat the test and how many put the school on their LA preference form. Ds is relaxed though, thank God!
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

My sons are not really bothered what schools they go too!!

At least Christmas should keep us busy for a bit!!
anxiously hopeful

I am quite annoyed with myself for obsessing over this now and not a year ago when I actually could do a bit more! Discovered this forum too late to pick any useful tips for preparation. In fact, we didn't really think he'd get in, and only since getting the test results and realising how close he is! I will be devastated for a bit if he misses out now!!!
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

To answer one of your questions, circa 5400 entered for the test this year, well up on last year. Who put what school nobody knows at this stage. Good luck.
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

I am the same as you. Didn't even realise there was a free grammar school option in the area, did little prep as didn't realise how competitive it is to get a place....one of my twins bombed completely. Feel I have let them down. Hindsight is a marvellous thing and if only I had realised 12 months before the test what we should have done to prepare.
anxiously hopeful

Thanks Rabbie! Is the number you quoted for the Brum or the Walsall consortium? We are hoping for a place at Adams GS. My hope is that since the Walsall test was really early this year, on July 1st, many kids from other areas, such as Brum, sat the test as practice having no intention to apply due to long commute. It appears that the applications to KE and other schools are a lot more competitive than for the Walsall consortium schools, therefore many high scorers from our test might not apply for school places. In fact, I recall a whole group of pupils from a prep school from the other part of the country altogether queueing for the test on the day! Hard to imagine many families uprooting from the SE to West Midlands!
Onebigdilemma, 12 mths preparation should be enough! There is no way you failed them at all. It is just so scary and quite unfair that everything depends on a one off test. I imagine many very bright DC are nervous or just not having a good day on the test day. They are only 10 year old kids!! How different are the twins academically? There is also a question of what is better, to be a small fish in a big pond or visa versa. When a child who was one of the high achievers goes to a school where everyone is clever and some are extremely so, the worry is that he won't be so confident!
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

We didn't do 12 months prep!! Wish we had, that is my regret!!

My boys are similar regarding SATs results but the one who got the higher test score is the brighter one academically and would be more suited to a grammar school environment. Although I wish I had done more I don't think twin 2 is as suited so it may work out for the best.

We are hoping for Adams Grammar too, fingers crossed for both our sons x
anxiously hopeful

Hopefully, it will work out, will keep fingers and toes crossed for them, x x
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Sorry 5400 is for Birmingham. No idea about Walsall.