What do do now that my child is first on the waiting list?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fantasyvn2008

What do do now that my child is first on the waiting list?

Post by fantasyvn2008 »

Could you pls advise?

My son is in Year 1, and now we are told that he is the first on the waiting list at another school. We really want our son to study at that school.

So now is there anything I should do? For example, should I keep calling or emailing the council to ask about the progress? Should I get in touch with the school itself, hoping they will remember my son's name?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Sally-Anne

Re: What do do now that my child is first on the waiting lis

Post by Sally-Anne »

fantasyvn2008 wrote:So now is there anything I should do? For example, should I keep calling or emailing the council to ask about the progress? Should I get in touch with the school itself, hoping they will remember my son's name?
No, please don't. It will make no difference whatsoever. The Admissions team will contact you again in the event that a place comes up. The school has no part to play in the process and they can't somehow "forget" about him.

All you can do is what the name says - wait. If another child leaves, and no one else has moved into the area who is a higher priority under the Admission rules, your son will get a place.

If you hear nothing further in a couple of months, you could call the Admissions team, just to check that he is still in first place on the list, but normally they would write to advise you of any change to that.

(You could appeal for a place, but I wouldn't advise it. Infant Class Size appeals are incredibly hard to win, and you would need a lot more on your side than just "we really want him to go there".)
fantasyvn2008

Re: What do do now that my child is first on the waiting lis

Post by fantasyvn2008 »

Thank you so much for your kind reply.

So it is a myth that one should keep calling the council and the school in order to get a place.